Thanks to all the campers, counselors, itp staff and everyone else who helped with the Lasersaur! Some put in many hours of building, some tightened a screw or held a piece in place, all of you were part of the build.
The build will continue. there is work remaining on the electronics system, and we are waiting for the laser to arrive, then we will work on the optics. Eric and I will continue working during the summer.
Documentation will also continue, I will turn the fumetti into a PDF with links to Addie and Stefan’s build instructions and other relevant stuff when the Lasersaur build is over.
Enjoy the rest of your summer and thanks again.
|June 28, 2012|
|4:00 pm||to||5:00 pm|
We are working on the electronics, soldered motors and started wiring gecko drivers, attaching them to shield and to board.
|June 27, 2012|
|5:00 pm||to||8:00 pm|
We installed the limit switches on the mount panels, then on the Lasersaur.
|June 26, 2012|
|11:00 am||to||5:00 pm|
We measured the cabling for the switches and motors, and soldered the switches. We also skyped Stefan to ask a few questions about the wiring of the motors and switches.
|June 25, 2012|
|5:00 pm||to||8:00 pm|
Build continues! We finished up the x-drive, then took a careful look at the electronic sub-system, checking the parts and also the schematic.
|June 22, 2012|
|5:00 pm||to||7:00 pm|
The parts are in (thank you Jaymes Dec for re-cutting the acrylic parts) and the motors arrived, so we continued to work on the gantry system. We installed the y-cart, then built out the y-drive, building and installing the shaft, then attaching the timing belts.
|June 24, 2012|
|3:00 pm||to||8:00 pm|
We spent a lot of time adjusting the y-cart placement, which was out of alignment. This involved taking the x-cart off, as well as the middle extrusion, and reattaching them. Next we started on the x-drive.
|June 23, 2012|
|1:00 pm||to||6:00 pm|
We worked on the gantry system, building the x-cart. We fussed around a lot trying to get it on the y-cart precisely.
Tom and I skyped Addie and Stefan Monday morning. Tom wanted to confirm that aluminum honeycomb would be a good choice of material for the work surface. He also had questions about the air assist- they use an air compressor, some users prefer liquid nitrogen, but an air compressor should be OK. I had a question about the rhino model, Stefan identified what the discrepancies in the gantry system are, lock washers and a few screws.
I skyped about a part later in the day, we got a 100 mm extrusion that was 40mm x40mm, rather than 20mm x 40mm. Thank you Jackson for cutting the new piece! Rob skyped later in the day about dealing with the laser manufacturer.
|June 20, 2012|
|6:00 pm||to||9:00 pm|
We started working on the gantry system, but ran into a problem when it turned out the the custom acrylic parts that had been cut for us were the wrong size, so evening ended early. We will get them recut- then back to work.