Audio / Before
Before you record….every time.
On the floor
- If you are taking equipment off floor set it up quickly before you leave - that way you'll never forget that one critical cable or adapter.
- Make sure all batteries are charged – always bring more than you think you need.
- Same goes for memory cards/hard drives. Space fills up fast.
- If your mic is powered by a battery - bring a back up. Hell, bring a backup for your backup.
- Make sure you have all of the accessories needed like windscreens, booms, and shock mounts.
- Run through all the recording menus & make sure they are set properly for the conditions of your shoot.
- Snap, clap and yell — make sure your levels are neither too high nor too low.
- Do a test-record and make sure it's all solid, then listen to it.
- No, seriously, test your audio levels again.
- When you've recorded what you were after, take the time to log and mark it appropriately. Nothing is worse than losing or recording over your clips. Now back it up!
Returning the Equipment
- Put all assorted gadgets, cables and adapters back in their respective pouches (wires coiled nicely, please).
- Never leave the batteries attached to the recorder.
- Don't forget your card in the recorder.
- The friendly folks in the ER sure would appreciate the return of those red clips