Help / Changes
Spring 2008 Facility Changes and Floor Notes Summary
Based upon broad feedback from the greater ITP Community (including: students, adjuncts, faculty, staff and residents) and based on observations made during the Fall '07 semester, we've made some facility changes to better meet the needs of the community.
Future improvements are in the works.
In the meantime, below is a summary of changes and notes detailed as you enter the floor from the South Side Elevators:
Reception Area: NEW Receptionist begins work on Thursday, January 24th
- Please Welcome Matt Berger: ITP's new Department Receptionist
- Matt comes to ITP following his recent graduation from TSOA's Theater Department
- We've tried to make the entire reception area a bit nicer and cleaner by adding a new reception desk
Reception Area: NEW "Quiet" / Adjunct Office Cafe
- In order to take advantage of the sunny views along the front Broadway windows, and to build on the natural tendency last semester for this area to be more of a "quiet" work space, this area is currently (and will continue to grow) as a quiet area that also supports the Adjunct Office Hours. In the works are more and new cafe tables and plants.
Reception Area: NEW Student/Adjunct Package and Mail Pickup Station
- We recognize that sometimes you need to have items delivered to ITP in order to complete your work on a project. To better accommodate this need, there is a new package/mail station for incoming student/adjunct (oversized) mail. We ask that you be considerate in picking up any packages or mail in a timely fashion. Whenever possible, we will email you to inform you of a delivery. The responsibility of securing and picking up you package befalls you however, so please don't let your valuable shipments linger.
Labs: Additional "Quiet" Areas, More storage in Video Machines, Documentation Station
- Because the labs are by nature, quiet areas, there are 3 empty tables in the Post Production Lab and 2 empty tables in the 3D Studio (Long Lab) for laptop/desk work.
- 500GB Drives are being installed in the Video Editing stations in the Post Production Lab. Routine maintenance will continue every Monday morning so please remember to back up your work...
- The Documentation Station is being improved upon in the front of the 3D Studio (Long Lab). It will include a Canon Digital SLR with 60mm Macro Lens w/ wifi transmitter, on a photo stand, w/ Light Table, networked video camera and additional lighting. This station can be used for documenting work, time lapsed photography, and stop-motion graphics. This area is awaiting supplies on order and should be fully operational by the second week of classes.
Room 404 (Japanese Room): NEW Staging Area and Conference/Meeting Room
- In order to meet a growing need (often in competition with the intended purpose of the J-Room's supposed purpose of being a Quiet Room) 1/2 of the room has been converted into an impromptu conference/meeting area for students or classes needing additional room to meet in. This space (including on occasion, the entire room) will be available for reservation for meetings, peer instruction (Drive Bys, Workshops, etc) or for class critiques that are too large to be supported by normally assigned classrooms. This space will be managed through the Rooms Reservation System.
- The other half of the room will normally (when not reserved by a class needing the entire space) be identified as a staging area for projects ready to move out of the design stage (physical computing area) and into a testing stage where you can test various setups, determine the appropriate space needed for an installation and work with any ITP equipment needed to support your project. To better facilitate this area there will be a signup/reservation system put in place via inwiki, requiring a tech/space consult with Rob Ryan, a defined testing duration and an estimate of space needs. Projects that you wish to formally enter the public spaces of the floor can then do so with confidence and a sense of completion in the design and initial-testing phases, preserving the public gallery spaces of ITP for finished or user testing stage works.
- To better meet the general needs of the classes, and in recognizing that most Adjuncts instruct from their own laptops, we have integrated laptops as the main computer in all classrooms, simplifying the way that instructors and students connect to the audio and projection systems in each room. This has freed up a lot of space in rooms like 406 (Physical Classroom) and 442 (Conference Room).
Printing: NEW Printers (setup instructions here: http://itp.nyu.edu/help/Help/Printing)
- Two new HP P30005 Series printers (one in the lounge and one in the lobby area) are networked for your IP Printing needs. These new printers use considerably less toner than the older printers and are able to duplex (print on both sides). Please download the drivers from HP in order to take advantage of this automatic, important and environmentally responsible feature (selectable from the print driver's menu drop-down when printing).