Instructions for Setting up PMWiki on itp.nyu.edu
To be part of ITP's wiki farm and use NYU NetID/NetID passwords for authentication
- Download itp_pmwiki to your computer.
- If it didn't auto extract, you need to do that.
- You may want to change the name of the folder so that it is something nicer and more descriptive. The name can have letters, numbers, and underscores. Don't use spaces.
- Open up the extracted folder and edit the file called 'htaccess' with your favorite text editor. Be sure to save the file with Unix line breaks.
- In the line that reads
change NETID to you netid
change WIKINAME to whatever you are named your wiki folder
- Save the file (don't forget to use unix line endings).
- Next edit the 'config.php' file inside the 'local' subdirectory. Editing instructions are in this file as comments. When saving your changes, remember to save with unix line endings.
- You can upload the entire folder to your "public_html" directory on itp.nyu.edu.
- Once uploaded, rename this htaccess file to .htaccess (a dot in front of htaccess). This makes the file a hidden file so make sure your sftp/scp program is set to show hidden files.
- Change permission on the 'wiki.d' directory to be world-writable (chmod 777)
- You should now be able to go to
Click on 'login' in the sidebar
and login with your netid/password
http://www.pmwiki.org is a great resources. If you have questions/problems, search there first.
- you can add skins to pub/skins
- edit the default skin in pub/skins/itpwiki
- add cookbook plugins to cookbook/
Cookbooks already included in the wiki farm are:
For a simple class wiki, http://itp.nyu.edu/varwiki/ is available for any class.
For a dedicated class wiki, the instructor should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that a wiki be set up and the requested URL, i.e.:
If you prefer a different version of pmwiki, you can dowload it from http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Download
This version will not be able to use NYU NetID/NetID passwords for authentication.