Help / LaserCutting
All requests must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, April 25
If you're interested in doing laser cutting for a project, here are the steps you should take:
- Download and read the pdf of the Laser Service Guide
Nancy also has printed copies of the guide.
- Create your file in the AMS Laser template.
- Talk to Nancy Lewis about your project, she will then approve your request and give you a coupon good for one hour of operation time. She may not approve your request if the project is not for school or if there are too many other people in the queue that week.
For group projects, you need to agree on one person in the group to be the laser coordinator. This person will handle the coupon, material and plan file drop-off. Any or all group members are more than welcome to accompany the coordinator, but there needs to be one specific person for the Laser Staff to coordinate with.
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org asking for an appointment to go over your request, include times when your are available during Laser Cutting Office hours.
|Office Hours For Spring 2007|
|Monday||12:30 pm - 7 pm|
|Tuesday||10 am - 7 pm||(closes at 5pm April 24)|
|Wednesday||10 am - 9 pm||(closes at 5pm April 25)|
|Thursday||10 am - 6 pm||(closes at 5pm April 26)|
|Friday||10 am - 3 pm||(closed until summer school as off April 27)|
- At the time of your appointment, go to the Multimedia Lab, 35 West 4th Street, 2nd floor, during office hours for laser cutting requests. Ask for the Advanced Media Studio.
Bring the following:
- A CD or external drive with your files on it (no FTP or e-mail attachments). Label your CD or drive with your name and phone or e-mail.
- You might want a spare CD in case you have to make changes. There are machines in the lab that you can work on and burn CDs.
- The coupon Nancy gave you
- All of your materials you need for your project, with an extra sheet for testing/contingency. Label your material with your name/e-mail.
The Laser Staff will look at your files, and give you an estimate of how long it will take to cut your project. You may be asked to come back later to approve a test cut. It's in your interests to plan for test cuts, because if you aren't happy with your final product, you will need to get another coupon to cut it all again and your project will go back to the end of the queue.
- Jobs over an hour will need additioanl approval from Nancy, which will be handled through e-mail and will depend on ITP's remaining number of alloted hours.
- When you receive an e-mail from email@example.com, you can come in and pick up your finished project.