Setting up FCP in the Lab
A few simple steps to correctly setup your FCP every time.
- Select Final Cut Pro/System Settings
- In the window that opens hit Set in the Scratch Disk tab.
- Create a new folder on the Network Drive & hit Choose.
- Choose the same folder for the Waveform Cache, Thumbnail Cache, and Autosave Vault.
- Hit OK in the System Settings window.
- Select Final Cut Pro/Audio/Video Settings
- Choose the settings that match your acquisition format.
- In the Sequence Preset that is most likely DV NTSC 48 kHz.
- If you shot your footage with the DVX100 24P(Advanced) you will want to set the Capture Preset to DV NTSC 48 kHZ Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal.
Save your Project
- Save your project to the same folder that you selected in the System Settings.
Now all your assets are in the same folder making back up and moving the project much easier.
Ken Stone has a great article on the FCP tool palatte.
Remember -- back up back up back up!
It's best to use your own personal hard drive. Second best, is the Network Drive, which gets wiped once a semester. The machines' local media drives are cleaned every Monday morning. If you don't want your project deleted you must send an email to the itp helpdesk with FILE STORAGE in the subject line. But even so......back up.