This is the main section of this site. Sensor and Datasheet reports should be linked off this page.
Format your link like this:
[[Reports.SensorName | Title of the Report]] - Short description, if necessary -[[~yourLogin]]
- "Reports.SensorName" creates a new page for our report in the Reports group of the wiki.
- The "~yourLogin" tildes (~) at the end automatically adds a link to your profile.
Any code samples or glossary entries should linked within your main Report on a separate page in the Code and Glossary groups. They will automagically show up in the Code Samples and Glossary sections of the site if you do this. Please sign and describe your code samples in the first 7 lines of the page.
Link them in your report like this:
[[Code.CodeSampleName | Title of code sample]]
[[Glossary.GlossaryEntryName | Term you are defining]]
Interesting sensors no one's done yet
- Biometrics System Final Report. "Biometric technologies are defined as "automated methods of identifying or authenticating the identity of a living person based on a physical or behavioral characteristic." This report gives an overview of biometric technologies, and an example of rudimentary face rcognition using Max/MSP and the cv.jit objects. Original report by Saranont Limpananont
- Reflective Optical Sensor There are many ways to detect heart rate, whether through electropiezo pulsation monitoring, chest-strap heart contraction detection or photoplesmography. The most wearable and continuous detection method for detecting via a user's wrist is by using a reflective optical sensor that sends an IR signal against the wrists arterial vein and reflects that to a phototransistor that catches the amount of light being sent. Full report of the TCRT1000 and an application of detecting HR from the wrist. Aislinn Dewey
- Here's a heart rate example from Justin Downs using an LM358 op amp
- SPRING2012 PULSE RATE Sensor from MV Carbon
- NeuroSky-based EEG Toy Hack: It's possible to extract brain wave data from the Mindflex over serial to build a basic brain-computer iterface. Arduino Brain Parsing Library / Brain Hack Tutorial
- EMG or Electromyography senses the electrical output of the muscles when contracted. Carleton University has some explanations and schematics. Also Advancer Technologies has tutorials and examples of EMGs in use as a video game controller. There is also the FreEMG by Torino Margolis is fairly similar to Advancer Technologies' design.
- ECG Polar Wearklink + Sparkfun Heart Rate Monitor Interface
- EEG Mindwave
Safety and Alarm ICs
- Carbon Monoxide Sensor Carbon Monoxide Sensor - Report by Manuela Donoso & Monica Bate
- pH and Conductivity meter I used pH and Conductivity meter for urinalysis. It measures both pH(a level of liquid's acidity or alkalinity) and conductivity(a measure of a material's ability to conduct an electric current) at the same time. Original report by YiSeul Park
Tilt, Acceleration, Position, and Orientation sensors
- LY530AL - 300/s Gyroscope: This sensor measures angular rate, how fast an object turns. - Alex Olivier and Deqing Sun
- ADXRS 150 Gyroscope: This sensor measures angular rate, how fast an object turns. - Daniel Bartolini
- Honeywell HMC6352 Compass Module. This Compass Module, made exclusively by Parallax combines two magneto-resistive sensors . Report by Nicholas Johnson and Rose Schlossberg?
- Hitachi HM55B Compass. This Compass Module made exclusively by Parallax is a dual-axis magnetic field sensor built around the Hitachi HM55B chip. Original report by John Schimmel
- MicroMag3 3-axis Magnetometer. Datasheet dummary and full report. Magnetic field sensor, intended predominantly for orientation sensing. Daniel Soltis
Accelerometers Accelerometers are simple MEMS (Microelectromechanical System) devices and are used to measure position, motion, tilt, shock, vibration, and acceleration (the rate of change of velocity). They are available with one, two, or three axes.
- ADXL202 2-Axis Accelerometer, a 2-axis accelerometer from Analog Devices that can measure between -2g and 2g. Original report by Grace Kim will be edited by Luca Shapiro and Manuela Donoso
- MMA7260Q 3-Axis Accelerometer This accelerometer senses change on three axes, and provides a convenient analog voltage output for each axis. Sparkfun makes a nice breakout board for it that makes it simple to use with a breadboard. Original report by tigoe
- WiTilt v2.5 Wireless 3-axis Accelerometer, in an O.T. application This employs the triple axis accelerometer and a class 1 Bluetooth link.
- Hitachi H48C 3-Axis Accelerometer Module datasheet report by evrim
- DXL320 3-Axis Accelerometer Datasheet report by Maria Mendez
- Tracking motion from an 3-axis accelerometer - Tracking motion from an 3-axis accelerometer -Maria Mendez
Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs)
- Sparkfun's 9 Degrees of Freedom - Razor IMU - Jen Shannon. 3 MEMS sensors: a 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyro, 3-axis magnetometer and a programmable microcontrollor on one small board. Powerful (and accesible) tool for calculating realtime 3D orientation.
- PNI's FieldForce TCM IMU - Alex Olivier.
- Tilt Sensor Summary - Grace Kim. This report contains no examples.
- Sharp Miniature Tilt Sensor - Pinky Magbanua. This tilt sensor detects changes by the position of a rolling ball. It detects tilting in both directions at +- 90 degrees. Updates available at the end of page.
- SignalQuest SQ-SEN-200/390 Omnidirectional Tilt and Vibration Sensor - Amit Pitaru.
- R217-TR-GPM GPS Sensor Summary -Ty Whitfield. This report contains no examples.
- EM-406A GPS Receiver Datasheet Report - Daniel Imal. A 20-channel GPS receiver available from Sparkfun for $60. Looks very simple to use.
- Vortex Wind Speed Sensor. An anemometer is a wind speed guage that works by counting the number of revolutions per second of a fan blade mounted vertically on a shaft. Original report by Stephen Schaum
- TWG-12 Tide and Wave Guage Summary -Stephen Schaum. This report contains no examples.
- Humidity sensor Resistive humidity sensors measure the change in electrical impedance of a temperature and humidity-sensitive medium. Original report by Keunyoung Oh, with many code samples.
- LM34 temperature sensor Original report by Hsiao-Ho Hsu
- Gas Sensors Volatile Organic Compound sensors measure the concentration of carbon-based gases in the atmosphere around the sensor. They're used for breathalyzers, pollution monitoring, and more. Original report by Jen Kirchherr, with excellent details and testing.
- DS1631 Digital Thermometer/Thermosat - digital temperature sensor with a 2-wire serial interface. No code samples, no examples. Original report by Zach Eveland
- Temperature_Sensor - temperature sensor Jeungah Kim
- Sharp Dust/Smoke Sensor - Optical particle sensor- Full report by Evrim Sahin
- UV Tron flame detector sensor - ultraviolet light detector made by HAMAMATSU PHOTONICS - report by Shin-Yi Huang
- Dallas Semiconductor DS18B20 Digital Thermometer - Direct-to-Digital One-Wire (tm) Temperature IC
- Thermistor 10K - 10K thermistor with a negative temperature coefficient. Good choice for temp-sensing applications. . Datasheet report by Merche Blasco?
- TMP 36 by Luca Shapiro and Manuela Donoso
- Humidity sensor HIH-4030 by Luca Shapiro and Manuela Donoso
- TMP 102 - Surface-mount digital (I2C) temperature sensor - by Noah Crowley
Touching, Pushing, Pulling Sensors
Capacitive Touch Sensors
- QSlide Touch Slider IC The QT411-ISSG QSlide Touch Slider IC. Roy Vanegas
- QProx Datasheet Summary. A general overview of how the QT113 touch sensors work. No code samples. Original summary by Michael Horan
- Four Channel Capacitance Sensor. The QT140 is a four-channel version of the QT113 chip, designed to isolate each of four capacitive touch switches. Rich tested a number of different materials with the QT140 for this report. Original report by Rich Miller
- Capacitance to Analog Converter. The QT301 charge-transfer (QT) IC is a self- contained Capacitance-to-Analog-Converter, capable of detecting small level changes in capacitance. Used to PWM 54 LEDs, using one QT301's PWM pin. Tested multiple densities of copper mesh as the electrode. Original report by Min Lee, QT301 by Sol Huh
- Zipper Sensor. Creating a potentiometer and a multiple switch with zippers. Original report by Joo Youn Paek
- Touch Panel - Panasonic EMU601A2 - An analog resistive touch panel for input device. Reporter : Guy Lee
- Soft Sensing A look at creating analog and digital sensors through the use of conductive fabric and thread. Original report by Kate Hartman
- Home Made Liniar Touch Potentiometer Building a liniar touch potentiometer out out of cheap, semiconductive material (video tape). Original report by Stefanie Wuschitz.
- Multi-touch trackpad Building a multitouch trackpad with one PIC chip and electrodes. Original report by Deqing Sun
Force Sensing Resistors
- Interlink FSRs This report prepared by Chang Soo Lee, Anaid Gomez Ortigoza, Shagun Singh and Mustafa Bagdatli(11/22/2010).
- SpectraSymbol's SoftPot Linear force sensing potentiometer. These sensors are similar to FSRs, but they output a changing value depending on where you press on the sensor. Original report by Michael Horan
- Tactex MTC Express Sensor Summary The MTC Express is a force-sensitive touchpad with a serial interface. It's no longer manufactured, but it's a favorite of Max/MSP performers. Original report by Ty Whitfield. This report is hosted offsite.
Stretch and Strain sensors
- Stretch Sensor Merlin systems makes a conductive rubber cord that changes its resistance when stretched. Original report by Hsiao-Ho Hsu
- Reports.)Flexible Stretch Sensor It's more Simpler to use than original one. the theory of sensor is the same. Seungran Woo
Ink as a sensor
Vision, Light, Color Sensors
- Linksprite JPEG Color Camera is a small camera that you can connect to usb serial interfaces, such as Arduino.Mustafa Bagdatli
- TSL230R TSL230R is a programmable light frequency IC that gives pulses which are related to light intensity. Mustafa Bagdatli
- TAOS TCS230 summary The TAOS TCS230 Programmable Color Light-To-Frequency Converter converts light to frequency. Original report by Spencer Kiser- updated by MV Carbon 2012 Spencer Kiser MV Carbon
- TAOS TSL230R In the same family as the TCS230, the TSL230R Light-To-Frequency Converter also converts light to frequency. report by Zach Layton
- Polycrystalline Solar Cell Original report by Marta Lwin.
- CMOS Imaging Sensor - Daniel Bartolini
- Hamamatsu Photo Reflector Sensor - David Bamford
- LED as Photodiode By reversing power and ground pins, a LED can be used as a photodiode. Reporter : Guy Lee
- TAOS TSL201R-LF Linear Sensor Array - Datasheet Summary -chris kucinski
- Sony EXview HAD CCD low light imaging sensor - Datasheet Summary -Ed Purver
- TAOS TSL13S Light-to-Voltage Converter - Sensor Report -chris kucinski
- Sony CCD in Imaging Source video camera - Sensor Report -Ed Purver
- QTI Line Sensor - Raphael Zollinger
- Phototransistors vs. Photocells -Overview and comparison of two common light sensors - Lori
- Homemade Color Sensor - Making your own color sensor using an RGB LED and a Photo Cell - Steve?
- Microsoft Kinect - Hacking the Microsoft Kinect for OSX and Windows - Lily Szajnberg and Erica Newman?
- Adafruit TSL2561 - Adafruit TSL2561 Full Spectrum Light Sensor- Zevensuy Rodriguez?
- HDJD-S822 Color Sensor Breakout -Sparkfun Color Sensor Breakout. Manuela Donoso
- TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video -Adafruit NTSC camera. Melissa dela Merced
Gas, Liquid flow, pressure sensors
- Spirometers are devices used to measure the volume of air inhaled or exhaled by the lungs. The device uses differential pressure transducers to measure the flow rates or the amount of air breathed in or out in a given duration of time. Original report by Shagun Singh
- C7195A Water Flow Sensor summary Original summary by Marta Lwin. This report contains no examples.
- Silicon Pressure Sensor Silicon Pressure Sensor. Datasheet summary by Rebecca Bray.
- Tsunami Pressure Sensor SBE 54. This is the Datasheet Report. Summary and Info by Benedetta Piantella.
- Tsunameter System. Full report on the Tsunameter System like the DART System by NOAA. Summary and Info by Benedetta Piantella.
- MQ135 Gas Sensor by Luca Shapiro and Manuela Donoso
- MQ3 Gas Sensor - Alcohol Sensor Report by Eun Jung Park
- MG8 11 C02 Gas Sensor by Melissa dela Merced and Mónica Bate
- MpXx5050 Freescale semiconductor pressure sensor-Hanny Ahern
- E-Tape Liquid Level Sensor
- LDTM-028K Piezo When the piezo film is bent from the mechanical neutral axis, a very high strain within the piezo polymer is created and generates a high voltage. Original report by Erin Kim
Microphones as sensors
- Microphones as sensors - Microphones are so common as to be overlooked as sensors, this report looks at the basics and also briefly at op amps -David Bamford
- Triangulation of Sound - Microphones as directional sensors. Rucyl Mills
- Condenser microphones-How to get good values Original report by Soyoung Park
Large body motion detectors
- PIR Sensor Original report by Sunghun Kim
- ePIR Original report by Luca Shapiro
- Photocell Original summary by Diane Thomas
- Break-beam Sensor Diane made her own photoelectric eye sensors with photodiode receivers and laser beams. Original report by Diane Thomas
- PIR Motion Sensor by Anaid
- Microsoft Kinect Controller-free gaming means full body play. Kinect responds to how you move. So if you have to kick, then kick. If you have to jump, then jump. You already know how to play. All you have to do now is to get off the couch.. Reporter : Tony Lim
Rotary and small motion detectors
- Rotary Encoder A rotary encoder is used to measure rotation and provide a digital output. It looks just like a potentiometer but can spin freely in both directions. Original report by John Schimmel
- Hall Effect Data Sheet Using a magnet attached to the back of the sensor, the hall effect detects the magnetic field perpendicular to the supply voltage. original summary by John Schimmel. This report contains no examples.
- Hall Effect, Direction-Detection Data Sheet Unlike a regular hall effect sensor, this one is capable of sensing the direction of rotation of a ring magnet. Original summary by Joey Guerrero
- Nubotics WW-02-WheelWatcher Encoder The Nubotics WW-02-WheelWatcher Encoder is an optical quadrature encoder that senses direction, distance, velocity and acceleration. It is manufactured by Nubotics and sold by acroname for robotics for a single wheel for $21.95 or as a two wheel set for $41.95. Summary by Wlodek Koss
- Inductive 3 wire DC Proximity Sensors These sensor generate an electromagnetic field to sense metal objects passing close to its face. Raphael Zollinger
- Rotary Encoder Using Paul Stoffregen's Encoder library This library makes it easy to interface Rotary Encoders with the Arduino Zevensuy Rodriguez?
Distance Ranging Sensors
- GP2D120 Sharp IR Sensor An Infrared (IR) ranger detects changes in distance to an object and outputs an analog voltage corresponding to how close or far away the object is to the sensor. Original report by Paul Feder
- Acuity AccuRange4000 Laser range finder Summary A laser range finder measures distance by hitting a distant target with a laser beam and measuring the time of flight of the reflected beam. Original summary by Stephen Schaum. This summary contains no examples.
- Sonar Ranger The Devantech sonar ranger is a fascinating tool, can be a bit frustrating, but does provide an interesting way to consider multiple sensor arrays to "image" a room. Original report by Daniel Bartolini, YiSeul Park
- Multi-Echo SensComp 6500 Range Sensor -Preston Noon
- Maxbotix Sonar Ranger Maxbotix Sonar Ranger This is a brand new sonar range finder that offers very short to long range detection and ranging, and gives analog, serial and pulse width output. Datasheet summary by Rebecca Bray.
- Parallax PING))) Ultrarsonic Distance Sensor The Parallax ultrasonic distance sensor reads the distance from the object in front. Datasheet analyzed by Joo Youn Paek.
- QRD114 IR Sensor QRD1114 is an unfocused Infrared Reflective Photo Detector. It's used when you need to detect a surface transition without touching it. Reporter : Guy Lee
- SLOAN )))™ Optima exposed Flushometers offer the ultimate in flushing technology with the Optima EL-1500 infrared sensor, which adapts to its surrounding. Once the user enters the sensor's effective range and then steps away, the Flushometer solenoid automatically initiates the flush cycle. Reporter : Tony Lim
A kit of various sensors
Integrated Weather Sensor Systems
- Weather Wizard III
- Datasheet report for 8-bit Shift Registor An 8-bit shift register expands the output capabilities of your microcontroller.
- µPart The µPart014xilmt Particle Computing is an ultra small computing and wireless communication embedded computing system with 4 sensors and one LED actuator and power supply. Original summary by Saranont Limpananont. This report contains no examples.
- Datasheet report for DS1804 Digital Potentiometer - The DS18004 IC operates like a regular potentiometer, but instead of manually rotating a wiper, we can program its position digitally with a micro-controller (or three regular on/off switches). The DS1804 has non-volatile memory, so it remembers the wiper's position when turned off. The DS1804 allows us to move the wiper to 100 different locations (steps), and comes in three models: 10K, 50K, and 100K. Report by A.Pitaru.
- RFID Datasheet report for the SkyeTek M1 RFID reader and the Parallax RIFD Reader Module (#28140). Report by Doria Fan.
- RFID Report for the HID Multiclass RFID reader and iClass Contactless system. Report by Melissa dela Merced.
- EKG Electrocardiogram report by Zach Layton
- HM2007 Voice Recognition IC Sensor report for the HM2007 Voice Recognition IC, a single-chip speaker-dependent voice-recognition system. The HM2007 can be trained to identify and respond to up to 40 spoken words. Report by Zach Eveland.
- Underwater Transducers | Fish Finders Report on an investigation into underwater location, and visualization. By Preston Noon
- Datasheet report for EEG data monitoring component - Report on a component that monitor neurological EEG data with diagnostic-quality -Younghyun
- OpenEEG hardware Modular EEG - How to build a brainwave detecting hardware -Younghyun Chung
- Body Impedance measuring Hack an normal body fat monitor and report its working mechanism -Roger Tsai?
- Reports.heartbeat sensor| Heartbeat sensor, using IR detector and emitter, by [[~ml1949 | meng li
- IR Breakout Board (TSOP85 Vishay) from Sparkfun by Kim Thompson
- Report for Olimex EEG-SMT, tested with Brainwave EEG-SMT is part of the Open EEG project. By Mónica Bate