registered authors login? here
This is a list of books related to sustainability compiled by ITP students. The books are roughly broken down into categories, though there is a great deal of overlap.
- Clean and Green: The Complete Guide to Non-Toxic and Environmentally Safe Housekeeping Annie Berthold-Bond ©Ceres Press,1994. 162 pp.
- The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists Michael Brower/ Warren Leon ©Three Rivers Press,30-03-1999 304 pp.
- Insiders' Guide The Big Green Apple: Your Guide to Eco-friendly Living in New York City Ben Jervey ©Globe Pequot Press,30-01-2006 287 pp.
Architecture / Urban Planning
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises ©Metropolis Books,30-06-2006 336 pp.
- Green Architecture James Wines ©Taschen,2000. 240 pp.
- Studio at Large: Architecture in Service of Global Communities Sergio Palleroni/ Christina Merkelbach ©University of Washington Press,31-10-2004 191 pp.
- Sustainable Architecture White Papers (Earth Pledge Foundation Series on Sustainable Development) David E. Brown/ Mindy Fox/ Mary Rickel Pelletier/ Leslie Hoffman ©Earth Pledge Foundation,2001. 324 pp.
- Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World review by Vincent Dean Boyce
- Biomimicry : Innovation Inspired by Nature Janine M. Benyus ©Harper Perennial,2002. 320 pp. review by Maria Mavrakis
- The Clock of the Long Now: Time and Responsibility: The Ideas Behind the World's Slowest Computer Stewart Brand ©Basic Books,2000. 200 pp.
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things William McDonough & Michael Braungart ©North Point Press, 2002. 208pp.
- Design for Sustainability: A Sourcebook of Integrated, Eco-logical SolutionsJanis Birkeland ©Earthscan,2002. 288 pp.
- ecoDesign: The SourcebookRevised Edition Alastair Fuad-Luke ©Chronicle Books,2006. 352 pp.
- Ecological Design Sim Van der Ryn/ Stuart Cowan ©Island Press,1995. 216 pp.
- Experimental Eco-Design: Product, Architecture, FashionCara Brower/ Rachel Mallory/ Zachary Ohlman ©RotoVision,2005. 176 pp.
- In the Bubble : Designing in a Complex World John Thackara ©The MIT Press,2006. 288 pp.
- Shaping Things (Mediaworks Pamphlets) Bruce Sterling ©The MIT Press,2005. 144 pp. Josh Klein's review is here
- Radical Simplicity: Small Footprints on a Finite Earth Review by Addie Wagenknecht
Materials / Trash / Recycling
- Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage Heather Rogers. New Press, 2005. (Sai will review this.)
- High Tech Trash: Digital Devices, Hidden Toxics, and Human HealthElizabeth Grossman ©Island Press,2006. 276 pp.
- Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America Giles Slade ©Harvard University Press,15-04-2006 336 pp.
- Why Do We Recycle?: Markets, Values, and Public Policy Frank Ackerman :Island Press,1997.
- Garbage Land: On the Secret Trail of Trash Elizabeth Royte ©Little, Brown and Company, US, 2005. 320 pp.
Economics / Business
- The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability Paul Hawken ©HarperBusiness,1994. 272 pp.
- Dark Age Ahead Jane Jacobs ©Vintage,2005 256 pp.
- Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model Ray Anderson ©Peregrinzilla Press,1999. review by Shinyoung Park
- The Sustainability Revolution : Portrait of a Paradigm Shift Andres R. Edwards ©New Society Publishers,2005. 224 pp.
- Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the Twenty-first Century Betsy Taylor ©Beacon Press,20-01-2003 304 pp.
- Collapse : How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed Jared Diamond ©Penguin (Non-Classics),27-12-2005 592 pp.
- Inventing for the Environment (Lemelson Center Studies in Invention and Innovation) ©The MIT Press,2005. 424 pp.
- Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution Paul Hawken/ Amory Lovins/ L. Hunter Lovins ©Back Bay Books,2000. 416 pp.
- The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World Bjorn Lomborg ©Cambridge University Press,28-08-2001 540 pp.
- Vital Signs 2006: The Trends that Are Shaping Our Future (Vital Signs) Worldwatch Institute ©W. W. Norton,2006. 144 pp.
- Water Wars Diane Raines Ward ©Riverhead Books,U.S.,2003. 320 pp. review by Rob Faludi
- Power to the People : How the Coming Energy Revolution Will Transform an Industry, Change Our Lives, and Maybe Even Save the PlanetVijay V. Vaitheeswaran ©Farrar, Straus and Giroux,2004. 368 pp.
- The Prize : The history of oil and the world from 1860-1990.
- The Long Emergency : A deeply flawed yet still interesting book on peak oil and it's effect on America. Highly pessimistic.
- Beyond Oil and Hubbert's Peak Deffeyes. Good intro to non-renewable energy and potential shortages.
- Energy at the Crossroads Vaclav Smil: One of the few conservative overviews of our energy situation I have found.
- Clean Energy Solutions review by Peng Zhao
- Energy Bibliography by Nora Rubenstein. "An evolving bibliography developed for a project to assess users' understanding and management of energy on a daily and on-going basis." This is a handy list for people interested in energy issues. Thanks to Nora for the link.