How to upload your homework
This year we are going to be using a new method for uploading Processing sketches to the web. Later in the semester, when you start building more complex Processing applications that involve hardware devices (such as arduino or a webcam) or code libraries, this method will not longer be applicable and you will likely instead choose to simply document your Processing work in a blog post.
Step 1: Write your Processing code and run your sketch in "standard" mode.
- Launch Processing
- Go to FILE --> NEW
- Go to FILE --> SAVE AS and pick a name for your sketch
- Write your code!
- Run your code! Does it work? If yes, move onto Step 2.
- Now when you run the sketch it will launch in a web browser.
- Once you see it running in the browser, go to SKETCH --> SHOW SKETCH FOLDER (or ⌘K for short)
- There, you will notice you have a folder called "applet_js". It should have 3 files in it.
- sketch_name.pde -- this is your Processing source code!
- index.html -- this is the HTML file that displays the Processing sketch (using an HTML5 canvas) in the browser
- Once this is completed you can move onto step 3 and upload the three files to the ITP server
Step 3. FTP your file to a server (these instructions are for the ITP server, but you can use your own of course)
- You need some FTP software. A nice option is Cyberduck. Other options are FUGU, Fetch (available for free from: http://www.nyu.edu/its/software/), or SSH Secure Shell(windows)
- Here is the info you will need to enter (screenshot is from Cyberduck)
- Select SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)
- Server: stu.itp.nyu.edu
- Username: your netid
- Password: your password
- Once connected follow these steps
- Go into directory "public_html"
- Create a new folder FILE --> NEW FOLDER (⇧⌘N), called perhaps "ICM"
- Create a new folder inside ICM, called perhaps "week1"
- Drag the files from "applet_js" into "week1"
Step 4: Test the sketch and link from the class wiki
Step 5: Enter the link on the class wiki
- Go to main ICM page: http://itp.nyu.edu/ICM/
- Find homework link for your class
- click on the login link and enter your netid and password
- click on "Edit" link
- Edit the page, entering the URL path of the applet we just made, the format is:
*[[http://itp.nyu.edu/~netid/whatever/you/did/ | Your Name]] your comments if you have any.
- Don't forget to CLICK SAVE!!!!
- WIth a Java applet, you can also use http://openprocessing.org/
- You can also export to application and post that for download
- You can always document your work with video, screenshots, written text, etc. and post a link to a blog post