Ok so now things are starting to get more interesting.
We have a real time controllable instrument, based on data input. I had a harddisk failure last week, but I managed to salvage/rebuild a patch that uses mouse interaction to modify frequencies. As usual this being PD, various mathematical translations modify the sound based on input value. Most of these objects are downstream from the data stream.
This patch looks even more diabolical, like an 8 bit octopus.
Mouse x y values to change frequencies and a button press to activate a sample. I used an frequency modulator as my main sound generator.
For some reason I could not get the sample to play, even though the connections appear to be correct.
Ok! this is my first go at PD.
Overall it is a very intuitive environment and I feel just like a child dragging little boxes and connecting them with little lines. Its an environment that is very conducive to experimentation, as creating new objects and connecting them is extremely easy.
There is something thoroughly satisfying in using the various shortcuts for activating the edit mode, and creating various objects, messages and objects. Dragging boxes around creates connections that create complex logic which I shudder to think how much syntax heavy programming it would require in Java.
This week, the assignment was to build a Sequencer.
I played around rather chaotically with both samples and generated sounds– in this case osc~ and noise~ to build a four step sequencer and introduce some percussive sounds based on sample of a cymbal.
It’s a noisy but incredible thing that I keep looking at if only for its apparent visual complexity. There is something very rough about not subpatching or abstracting patches, just letting the lines spill onto the canvas.
The usual metro and trigger bang bang are featured in this patch.