Our concept was to have a game that’s unlike most of the screen based games and to test out how much can we ‘play’ without visual cues.
We had a simple idea and had figured out pretty quickly how we wanted to do it – using Processing, MAX MSP, A joystick and an arduino.
We were on top of all our sounds and had a pretty decent library of sounds we thought could be informative and make for great gameplay.
We had a few small hiccups setting up the Joystick, reading its output and figuring out what switch is what, but once we had that down, it worked great and was reliable.
We spent the most amount of time going back and forth over coding and what to send to MAX MSP and getting MAX MSP to accurately output the sound based on distance and angle inputs.
Critiques and Reflections
At the very end we still couldn’t decide on a good name for the project and the only ones we thought of were too punny and corny.
1. The Dark Night rises?
2. The Deadly Hangover?
3. Dark Ops?
Our setup had to change slightly from the initial idea.
We setup the speakers on 4 chairs but were forced to ask the user to sit on the floor with the joystick so that the speakers would be at ear level roughly.
It took us about 20 minutes to get MAX MSP and the 4 output audio interface functioning for the demo.
We were quite reliable on the speaker quality being able to output the small subtle changes in sound as well as being able to handle multiple sounds layered on top of each other. It was only during the night before the demo that we realized we’d made an awful error.
We’d created the sound radii based on what we thought was a good distribution on a visual map. However, when we were testing it out with the speakers, we began to notice significantly larger amounts of dead audio when moving.
While we did have a check for standing, moving, walking, running we didn’t make use of the sound files and actually give this information out very well.
Another problem was our movement. It made sense visually, but there wasn’t a clear enough audible clue whether or not the character was moving or for that matter turning.
We really needed to inculcate more of the sounds we recorded to give more audible cues as to what was going on.
The biggest mistake we made was to not have a party sound so that you could know whether or not you were getting closer towards it.
Things we think we did right
Getting Ambisonic codecs to function and having a Processing sketch that could take in input and being able to output how far and at what angle an object is from the player.
Things we could have done better
Not leaving gameplay to the last minute and working only on the hardware and code.