Full Package [big games]0March 21st, 2012Big Games
The second challenge from the Big Games class with Greg Trefry was to work in group to create a Time Based Game. In other words, we should create a game that would continue during the whole week. Examples of this kind of games are Assassins and even Words with Friends and Farmville.
I worked in a group with Doug Kanter, Elena Parker, Hyeyoung Yoon and Phil Groman and we wanted to create an active real life game as Assassins, keeping things low profile to succeed in the game, but with a little bit of trading.
So we create a game called “Full Package” inspired in the acclaimed HBO series “The Wire”.
Junkies compete to score a full package of different colored narcotics from different dealers around ITP. But beware, junkies can also supply evidence on each other,in order to earn extra drug money and invalidate the transactions of the competition.
Players are “Junkies”. Games Masters are “Dealers”. Drugs are different colored balloons.
How to play:
- At least 6 players (“junkies”) and 5 game masters (“dealers”).
- The five game masters will each be selling different colored balloons.
- The goal is for junkies to complete as many full sets of colored balloons as possible. A full set of colored balloons is a full package.
- Once a full package has been certified, the junkie can start to build their next package.
- To certify a full package junkies must take their inflated balloons to any dealer who will make a package inspection and provide a certificate.
The winning junkie is the one who has the largest number of certificates at the end of the week.
Starting the game:
- Junkies will get 125 Pounds at the beginning of the week. Each balloon will cost 5 pounds. A full package will cost 25 pounds.
- Extra money can be won by successfully capturing other junkies with drugs on them. A photo or video needs to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly showing a junkie together with a colored balloon. The evidence provider will receive 5 pounds for the evidence. The photographed junkie will loose that colored balloon and will have to pick up that color again. They will not be reimbursed.
- If multiple evidence is received from different junkies on the same transaction, the first email sender will get the cash.
- Evidence needs to be sent immediately as once a full package certificate has been handed over to a junkie, there is no turning back and that evidence becomes invalid.
- Neighborhood watch will also be vigilant. The game masters will reward the ITP community for direct evidence and the captured junkie will loose that color and have to pick up again.
- Each dealer will have a different zone. Sales will only happen in these zones.
- Drugs will be sold from 12 to 6 Monday to Friday.
- Junkies can stash their balloons anywhere but must keep drugs in tact and inflated until they have collected a full set, at which point they will get a game master to verify their package.