Here is some documentation of the Transistor lab.
I had to do it twice. My first try was at the end of a long day and it did not work. However after talking to some friends, some hard thinking, and a good night’s rest, I realized the mistake I made.
It may be hard to see but I accidentally soldered my voltage adapter in a confusing way. The Black wire is the power and the Red wire is the ground.
Not the worst mistake but if there is a way to re-solder this I think I would like to do that.
Once I realized this mistake, I wired the transistor and motor as the lab instructed. And while trying to document I felt like the motor spin would not be visible so i added a twist-tie.
More limitations: I did not think ahead of time to give the motor some longer wires. So the twist tie acted like a weed-wacker against my hand. The quick fix was to add a piece of paper.
For me this paper was a beautiful accident. It started making me think about persistance of vision and animation. Maybe I can use this technique (or some variation of it) in a future project.