Belated update from last week regarding my sleep project for thesis. I was able to get some serial data from the Zeo once, but am having trouble repeating the success. The data doesn’t seem to be as clean as I hoped, so I may be moving on to try a few python scripts I found in forums.
A bit frustrated on that front for now, so I began working with existing data and visualizing it in Processing. I started with a simple graph displaying awake (red), light sleep (blue), deep sleep (gray) and REM (green). Then I played with color/position for each stage of sleep to see if I could get some interesting results.
I like how everything turned out, but after meeting with Gabe for thesis advisement, he told me one of my reviewers found a project “too similar” to mine & that I should consider a different output. While my project is trying to keep the sleeping brain “productive” by making a blanket, Janine Antoni’s performance piece “Slumber” consists of her weaving her own REM data out of fabric scraps from her nightgown. Although I see similarities in our projects, I think the two concepts are extraordinarily different. Alas, the thesis gods have taken the wind out of my sails, so I will have to move in a different direction. Balls.