For my midterm project I decided to try to embed signals from my body with the actual digital photos I might be taking. I used a GSR sensor fixed to the side of my camera connected to an Arduino. The GSR sensor uploads a reading every minute (or every second) with a timestamp.
I built a Processing sketch that prompts you to select a file for upload. Once you do, it cross-references the ‘Created on’ date of the file with the timestamped GSR readings logged by your Arduino and uploads that GSR data in the description (and title field).
Lots could be better about my project. It turns out the GSR data is not very interesting deprived of an average/baseline reading. It might not be that interesting anyway. I think heart rate would be a better signal going forward. Also, to truly be portable, the system needs to run off bluetooth or WiFi so the operator doesn’t have to lug around an Arduino and a bunch of wires. I also would like a way to access the image file’s EXIF data directly (preferably in batch) without relying on Processing and Flickr.