This is the current iteration of my ICM final, a video installation that started as a performance tool and turned into a installation/mirror/weird thing called Gjohst. It’s a very simple mechanism that still surprises people. As I’ve observed it on the monitor in the hallway for the past couple of days I’ve noticed that most people miss it. Look behind you.
I presented my ideas for the ICM final on Wednesday and the class definitely seemed more interested in the video based project. I’ll probably continue working on the midterm, but I think I can make the video project really cool, I just have to decide what direction to go in.
I haven’t gotten much farther with my midterm, but I made into an object oriented sketch, and Dan showed me some good idea for using a path of points to map the graphics, instead of static PGraphics units. Here’s the current sketch. The motion is just random to show that the units will move. Eventually they will form a creature that moves and can be played with.
Over the weekend I made my Processing sketch from the midterm into an object oriented sketch, and then got some help from Dan to fix some of the code. It’s not all the way done yet, but it works a lot better. I can make the units and now I just have to animate them. I’m looking into different physics libraries in Processing to do this. Right now its kinda dumb, but you get the idea: those four objects will form some sort of creature. For some reason the refresh button doesn’t work in the browser, but you can just refresh the window.
Dan also showed me a better way to do the drawing. Instead of using PGraphic, just plot the point in an array that can be used in different ways later. Then he wrote this neat little sketch in about sixty seconds. You can’t see what you’re drawing right now but it will appear once you release the mouse. Going to implement this into my original idea.
I like this sort of aesthetic. Want to keep working with it, add color, make it weirder, etc.
I didn’t get nearly enough time as I would have liked to work on the code for this midterm, so this post will mostly be about the concept and the things I still need to make/fix. And again, my code doesn’t work online, probably something with saving graphics, so I’m going to just post some documentation of me just playing with it on the computer.
I played around with some different ideas with arrays, but never really got to where I was trying to go. Here are a few of the sketches that I made which have sort of neat actions, some of which were intended and some were not.
After meeting with Dan twice and spending way too long on this, I got done all the things I wanted to, which surprised me. Getting the arm joint to work was the hardest part. I had to do a bunch of trig and crap that I haven’t thought about in years. Stuff like this:
There are still flaws. The coding is pretty stupidly organized. I would fix this if I thought I wanted to do more with this, but I don’t really see it going further. I’m actually pretty happy with what I’ve got. It looks almost exactly like what I first imagined.
So, things I still need to fix:
1. Second part of the cat arms with joint
2. It would be cool if that cats were draggable
4. Make the legs sway back and forth with x movement
I really like the relationship between the circles this example Dan did in class. Could stare at these for hours.