Further to the posts in week 6,7, and 8, we further developed our Human Wind Chime media controller, with our main focus being on:
- finishing the material parts: balls, hanging plate
- refining the piezo sensors and code to get the readings to be more reliable and stable
- get our multiplexors to work with 25 sensors and 25 LEDs
Well almost … everything was looking great at that point, except we realised that our multiplexers were not doing what we wanted them to do – in fact we managed to ‘fry’ three of our arduino multi processors whilst trying to figure things out with our code and set-up.
Long story short, we rewired our entire board as our earlier version was somewhat messy – with long wires etc, which just asks for a short and makes it impossible to spot any errors. 3 hours later …
Despite our efforts to make the multiplexers work, we ultimately abandoned them in the last minute just to make sure we were able to show a working project in class – after all, it is the user experience that matters and not the technology behind it, and we knew that we could make this work using 5 arduinos instead of just using one with 4 multiplexers. And that is what we ultimately did.
(see the final video in the final posting).