SO, I am going with the storybox idea, which has a lot of implications for me, as a project. It’s the first project I’ve made at ITP that has in mind the creative community I was involved with before ITP, and may not appeal to a lot of ITPers. Which is weird and fine!
It’s also the first project I’m making here in which I feel like I’m taking a risk creatively. I mean, it might not make sense, or at least it might not make sense for a long time. The writing aspect is a tangled messy puzzle! One that will take more than a week to figure out, unless I have a huge epiphany at some point about how these things can link together in a satisfying way. That’s not a game. I’m soooo not wanting this to be game-y.
Anyhow, new details since the last post: the project was invigorated for me by Hannah Mishin’s suggestion to use a receipt printer for the output, which Jay has graciously lent me. From there, I started some grand scheming: compiling all of the printouts users make, scanning them/ copying and binding them. I’m sort of thinking of the box as a modular literary journal thing, and ideally it would be filled with writing about a moment of entering or leaving a home from the first person in present tense. I guess I maybe should stop calling it a storybox, too, because the chances of it having any semblance of a linear narrative by the time I finish with it is uh, pretty much zero. Anyway, grand scheme would be to have several of these boxes, each with different settings as inputs (this one takes place in the threshold of a home) and each would be filled with many people’s stories, and then each would have a corresponding book of all of the printouts made from a day of its use….but uh, step one on that front is still getting the content sorted out.
So, here is where I am, progress-wise. As of last night I have my code in place (after a horrible non-saving experience where I literally lost all of my code, even though it was already uploaded into the board and working fine there) AND the receipt printer is working!
What’s next? Well, I gotta build the housing for it, which I suck at (+1 for wishing there were a materials comm lab) but will hopefully go okay. I also have to find an awesome looking doorbell and doorknob, or give up and use generic ones.
Most importantly, perhaps, though, I gotta get the gameplay(for lack of a better word) in SOME kind of order. Right now it’s just that each switch and button press spits out a different sentence that describes the state of affairs when that was triggered. This is a really, really challenging problem to solve, however got a lot easier to think through once the physical mechanisms were in place, which is a cool, cool, cool thing. Right now, the thing looks looks like this, by the way:
Just a big ole mess!
But check out this awesome soldering job I did last night, after finally acquiring something to attach to the printer’s TXRX pins (thx again to jayz, who also provided the gnar gnar watermelon pizza sticker. as you can see, however, he took a slice before lending it to me):
Okay, that’s all. Out to doorbell hunt for a little bit!