I did my movement assignment for my roommate who likes “cool decorations” and “outer space.” I made a moving room decoration in the shape of a star for her using the servo motor. First I hooked up the servo motor and set it up to spin 180 degrees one way and then the other on a loop, with small pauses between the rotation to give the appearance of gentle twinkling. Then I attached the long arm to the motor and put on the star I made (which is basically just cereal box and paint) with duct tape. I mounted it on the wall and let is spin back and forth, and aside from the wire hanging out clearly attached to an arduino and my computer, it looks like it’s spinning by itself.
I also hooked up a button for practicality. If she doesn’t want the distraction of the (somewhat noisy) movement she can hit the button and shut it off. The practicality is only useful in theory though because it’s still attached to an Arduino which needs to in turn be attached to a power source so as a decoration, having all the stuff around isn’t too great. The star is 3D and does a decent job concealing the motor though so if I get other smaller parts, it could work. All in all she was very happy with the effect for about 5 minutes before telling me to get my junk off her bed.
I also made my self portrait, which is very simple and slightly interactive. It was frustrating placing the squares and circles through trial and error because I couldn’t tell just by entering coordinates exactly where they’d end up on the canvas. I had to give each shape many adjustments to get it to the right spot.
I made my portrait so that when you click on the canvas it gets a little angry and upset which I think is very accurate because I just don’t really like people touching me or making touching movements anywhere near me. The canvas here is pretty much my “personal bubble” and the 12 bit anger is pretty much real.
In making a basic self-portrait I had some difficulty figuring out syntax. specifically as to where the fill values were to be placed in relation to the shapes. (I could have avoided this confusion if I’d watched the video on it, but I figured it out eventually). While the self-portrait isn’t realistic, it is both incredibly white, and in constant fear, just like myself.
This week, we also had to create a self portrait using P5js. I started out really very basic because I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with the software. I knew my biggest challenge would be trying to affect my wavy/curly hair using simple shapes.
I found a current ITP student’s blog that had a similar assignment was able to understand how to represent myself better using P5. So I decided to start over. Here’s an initial sketch I did to try to decide which shapes to use. Here you can see I was trying to decide between using ellipses or quads to do my hair. In the end I used a bit of both.
It took a while to figure out how all the shapes worked. I created outlines first before adding color. Below is what it looked like before trying to fill in my shapes.
My final result ended up being much more detailed than I had initially imagined. I’m still not happy with how my eyes turned out. I realised I’d have to deal with my own internalized racism if I wanted to be happy with any eyes I could make using P5, so I decided to complete the assignment and deal with it another time.
I’d like to conclude with a s/o to this incredibly useful skin tone chart, as well as validation that what I made can be recognised as a face.
I was originally going to try and make one of those things that spin and has pictures that are drawn sequentially so it looks like a moving picture, but realized that exact project was in the book and would be difficult to make my own besides drawing a different story. So I decided to try and make a strobe like effect and use the piezo to make some sort of buzzing noise while the light was on. But it didn’t quite turn out the way I expected. I used the code from the book for the piezo and changed some of Dakotas code from the last assignment to try and make my project work. So the whole thing only works when the button is pressed except the piezo that still makes a low buzzing noise, I think it always does that as long as it’s connected. Then the light is supposed to turn on when the photoresistor receives enough light, the piezo is also controlled by this. Then the DC motor was supposed to be used to cut off the light at regular intervals, but the DC motor is too fast, I realized a bit too late. If I were to try this again I would have used the other motor. The grounding wire also fell of the DC motor, so I got to practice soldering again. Since I forgot to post the picture last time, I’ll add the one of the motor here.