For the sound project I attempted to create a ukulele tuner (to little success). The idea was to listen to the microphone input, call on the fft functions of p5. Find the frequency of the input sound, and map a range to a note – which would tell me if the ukulele was within that range. The program should display The note being played on the screen. For some reason (which I can’t identify) the frequencies didn’t display as the notes I assigned them to. But the actual frequency would print. Ideally I would add more specific ranges to incorporate more notes.
I wrote a sketch based on https://p5js.org/examples/hello-p5-drawing.html, where the drawing happens by the sound that the mic picks up.
I wanted to work more with button response type scenarios because my final project calls for this type of interaction. Though I will eventually work with sound as the trigger, I am currently working with clicking as the trigger to elicit a response. Here I tried to utilize the sound library so that when you click on the buttons here you get different sounds. It’s kind of like a virtual piano.
Unlike a piano though I didn’t organize it in ascending tones. I determined the notes you need to make the folgers theme song by listening to it a bunch of times and then came up with this.
G A B B C G A
G A C E D C
Then I put the buttons in the correct order so if you click them with the right rhythm you can play the folders jingle. It’s also coffee colored and has coffee icon keys. I think folders would be proud of this as an advertising tactic. You thought you were going to play an ascending scale? Just kidding, it’s folders jingle. You can also play if backwards easily to try and find a hidden message.
Sources (p5 sound examples and library)
Contrary to what people keep asking me, I don’t like coffee.
I tried to make a Japanese photobooth. They’re a lot of fun to take pictures with friends, but really expensive, so I wanted to recreate some of the fun/ridiculous on my computer.
Ideally pressing the return button would make the camera take a series of 4 videos in relatively rapid succession. After, the user would be able to draw on it and add ‘stamps’ to personalize the photos, for example, the date the photo was taken, a phrase to describe the relationship of the people in the photo, cat ears, hearts, and a brush to draw whatever they want. The user would decide where they would want to place the stamps by clicking the position.
When I set about trying to create the photobooth, I had some difficulty with my camera, it wouldn’t resize to a smaller image when I drew the captured image on the canvas. I decided I’d deal with that issue later.
I also wasn’t sure how to create a timer that would take pictures in succession, so I decided to go for one image for now. The cat ears and heart were drawn in Illustrator and the date and phrase were created in p5. I was only able to get the images to be placed with a mouse click, but ran into an issue where with the first click, both images would appear.
Trying to combine these two components of the photo booth gave me a lot of trouble. They worked fine separately, but would disappear when placed together.
For this week’s assignment I extended last week’s Many Snakes so that the snakes make a sound when they turn 10 times (so that it’s not too noisy). The snakes’ colors are based on their pitch, and when they make a sound they flash green. I made all the possible pitches on the jazz blue scale, so sometimes it sounds pretty nice!
Here”s the link: http://i6.cims.nyu.edu/~kz657/creative/assignment-9/
I just made a fun photo booth where you can take pictures in red, green, blue, black & white, distorted colors, or normal mode. Then you can also make the little pictures be in video mode so they take the live feed instead of an image. I added a clicking noise to when the picture is taken.
Link to code.
I added background music and sound effect to the game I made two weeks ago.
I wanted to keep the game simple and retro, so I used 8-bit sound. When I first uploaded it, p5’s sketch file and html file were in a different folder, and somehow the preload function wasn’t working. I uploaded the whole folder (cameraLensGame) and now it’s working.