We were assigned to create a circuit in which you don’t use your hand to flip the switch. I had a lot of difficulty deciding how I would go about doing that, but decided to try to attempt some sort of method using a floating piece of conductive material to complete a circuit. I thought about using washers, some sort of metal plate, or some sort of copper wire weave, but wasn’t sure how effective any of those methods would be. After doing a quick Google search for some conductive materials, I found I could use aluminum foil. After assembling all my components, I tried to actually put together the circuit.
I used the breadboard because I thought it would help me better visualize and organize the flow of electricity through the circuit. Using a resistor was confusing and I had difficulty trying calculate which sort of resistor I should use, and how to determine the function of the resistor. When asking a friend for her opinion, she thought that we were always advised to use the 1k resistor, so that’s the one I ultimately chose. When most of the circuit was set up, I tried figure out the “handless” part of the assignment.
Here, a test was conducted to see if tinfoil would be a reliable conductor for the electricity. It turns out the internet didn’t lie this time around.
In the ITP shop I found a small cup and some tape. The cup was small enough to act as a bit of a guide for the tinfoil, to make sure water poured from above wouldn’t force the tinfoil away from two pieces of exposed wire, which would complete the circuit. The tape was used to attach the wire to the cup, and position the wires to come into contact with the aluminum. When water is poured into the cup, the aluminum foil comes into contact with the wires, completing the circuit and making the LED light shine.
When putting the whole circuit together, I had some difficulty having the light shine. I tried to figure out what the issue was, maybe the positive end of the battery was attached to the black wire, maybe I needed the resistor to be in another place, maybe I had a defective battery. Testing the potential problems resulted with the same dark LED. I decided it could have been the voltage for the LED, I knew the green one I was using was 2 volts, changing to a red one allowed the light to shine dimly. When changing to a blue LED with 3 volts, it shone the way it had in class, I I realised this was the proper LED I should use with this battery and resistor. Finally, I was able to put together the circuit.