This weeks assignment was to make something that moves. I decided to try to make a “lighthouse.” I wanted to use the DC motor because I thought that it would be nice to have something that spins around a full 360 degrees. For this project, it was actually unnecessary to have something spin around in a full circle, but I it was something I wanted to see happen. I assembled the breadboard using the schematic from class.

From the junk pile, I found an old painted pringles can that I thought could serve well as the lighthouse. It already had holes cut into it that would help me be able to run the wires from the motor to the breadboard. The spinning section of the motor would have to sit above the opening of the can. From there, I would attach a wire with paper or something to be the ‘light.’ I had debated attaching a LED to the wire, so that it would actually be a lighthouse, but decided against it as I wasn’t sure how to prevent the wire from spinning around the motor and pulling out from the breadboard. In order to support the motor, I cut a DC motor shaped hole into a piece of cardboard that would keep the motor centered and help lift to some extent. I also cut a piece of cardboard that was the diameter of the can to put under the motor and support it. I hot glued these items in place.

I made something to sit on top of the spinning portion of the motor that was vaguely reminiscent of the house portion of a lighthouse and decided to use yellow wire to mimic a beam of light.  At one point, the wires to my motor broke off and I had to solder them back together. The DC motor spins way too fast to get the result I was going for, I wanted a much lazier spin to my lighthouse. I think using some sort of gear system would slow it down, but I’d have to look into it more.

Below is the thing in action

Leave a Reply