Strategy of the Commons
Team: Dan Melancon, David Tracy and Saki Hayashi
Strategy of the Commons is a game that explores the application of Game Theory to a dynamic system of exchange such as the CitiBike system in New York City.
Through gameplay we aim to address the following question: Can the implementation of system wide penalties and bonuses influence the behavior of self interested players? Furthermore, can we fine-tune these penalties and bonuses to achieve system balance?
The core gameplay works as such:
– Six stations distributed throughout the fourth floor of ITP.
– Each station starts with the exact same stock.
– Up to fifteen players must navigate the system, collecting points for redistributing stock
– Players intermittently receive missions that they must complete, or they will receive a penalty.
– If a station becomes completely empty, or completely filled, a system-wide penalty is activated
– the penalty steals one point from everyone in the system every five seconds and deposits these points at the unbalanced station as a bonus to whoever restores the system (by depositing stock at an empty station or taking stock from a full station)
– After ten minutes of play, the player with the highest point total wins.
The first play test, touching RFID card to the reader.
Prototyping RFID six readers
The web/ mobile interface from the mission control screen
A player accepting points