Progress to Infinity

For my final project, I made another game. There were about 4 factors that went into this game idea.

  1. Unlike my other games, I wanted to challenge myself and not be reliant on PImages for the actual graphics and physically draw shapes and lines myself.
  2. Since we  so recently wrote our blog post on Computational Media, I think I was still very oriented towards that meditation on computers and their capabilities, etc.
  3. I wanted to incorporate the first part of our class that focused on the Arduino because it was so integral to our course with its scope on the physical world of computing.

So with all those factors in mind, I thought about the circle and how basically it is a polygon with an infinite amount of sides. This topic of “infinity” reminded me of David Deutsch’s Beginning of Infinity , where  he claims that progress is boundless – or infinite. So by somehow weirdly merging the those thoughts in my mind, the game where the goal was to become a circle (that represented infinity with its “infinite” number of sides) became its own ” progress towards infinity”.

This is my first multiplayer game (woohooo, double the fun!) and the movement of the players are controlled by the  ASDW and the arrow keys. In each level, there are foreign words floating around that mean the number of the next shape the player must become. To advance, the player must retrieve all of his respective words. For example, for a square to become a polygon, the player must collect all 5 words that mean “5”. The words are also the same color as the player so it makes the game easier than just a mere translation exercise and actually possible to finish within a more reasonable amount of time.

Here is the tutorial demo video:


Twist the dials to change your color!
Twist the dials to change your color!


I did throw in one last surprise so unfortunately the file needs to be in the data folder along with the fonts in order for the code to run correctly.

So to download everything:

And here is the scary code. The switch statements got very repetitive but I wasn’t able to modularize the actual level changing function because then it ended up being that I would have to return an array and somehow pass it back into the same function (all because I have so many switches within each level).

Here is the SHAPE class:

Here is the TEXT class:

To improve on this game, and to progress on this further, I’d maybe think about venturing into the third dimension for the shapes, making it more interactive (with the video tracking) so it can be a team game, and making obstacles!

I had a really fun time this class  and I had a lotta fun with you all, through bugs of frustration to sheer hilarity to coding successes! : )


Leave a Reply