- Interruptible LED fade (Due week 2) – individual project
- Candle (due week 3) – individual or pair project
- Light fixture (due week 7) – individual or pair project
- Hue Control or DMX Control (due week 11) – individual or pair project
- 24-hour responsive light fixture (due week 14) – individual or pair project
- Observation assignment (due every week) – individual project
Weekly observation assignment: lighting moment
Take a photo or video, or choose a pre-existing photo or painting of a scene. Describe the quality of the light, and the composition of the light. Description the sources, the directions, the colors, the focus, and any other property you can discern. If it’s the work of another person, cite your sources.
Do at least one of these every week. Use the notes in the schedule below as a guide if you have nothing else in mind. If you do have another moment in mind, look for these ones as well. Attempt to capture the scene with its natural light, do not use flash.
Post a link to your observation log on the class links page.
Week 1: Jan. 30
- Basic properties of light
- Light in art and design
- Light source technologies
- Assignment: Interruptible fade of an LED (due in week 2)
- Observation Assignment: Candlelight. 00:30 – 1:30 min. video
- Reading: Rune Madsen’s chapter on color theory
Week 2: Feb. 6
- Presentation: show LED fading devices
- Color & color spaces
- Light Control: Microcontrollers and programmable LEDs
- Assignment: Candle (due in week 3)
- Observation Assignment: Early morning, exterior.
- Reading: Rune on color spaces and color models
Week 3: Feb. 13
- Presentation: Show candles
- Light control: Light & Color Sensors
- Assignment: Visit lighting stores. Kenmare & Bowery and points south
- Observation Assignment: Late morning, interior.
Week 4: Feb. 20
- Light over time
- Light Control: 12-volt DC control over LEDs
- Observation Assignment: 4-hour time-lapse video. Capture an interior space that’s part of your everyday routine in 10-second intervals over 4 hours.
- Assignment: Desk, floor, or table lamp fixture (due in week 7)
Week 5: Feb. 27
- Light Control: AC workshop. We will build circuits in class, to be safe.
- Observation Assignment: 24-hour time-lapse video. Capture another interior space that’s part of your everyday routine in 10-second intervals over 24 hours. Example: Tom’s office or Mint’s time lapse of the ITP lobby
Week 6: March 6
- Light Control: Philips Hue System
- REST APIs from p5.js
- Microcontroller control of REST APIs (ArduinoHttpClient library)
- Observation Assignment: Interior, workspace
Week 7: Mar. 13
- Presentation: show lighting fixtures
- Light control: node.js controlling Hue and DMX
- Assignment: Lighting control assignment (due in week 10)
- Observation Assignment: Interior, relaxation space
SPRING BREAK: Mar. 18 -14
Week 8: Mar. 27
- Light control: DMX
- Stage Lighting Techniques
- Possible visitor, TBA
- Observation Assignment: Exterior, natural shaded area
Week 9: Apr. 3
- Light control: Microcontroller control of DMX fixtures
- Observation Assignment: Exterior, man-made shaded area. If possible, capture caustic reflections as well.
Week 10: Apr. 10
- Guest: Mary Louise Geiger, lighting designer and academic director for the Tisch Dept of Design for Stage & Film
- Assignment: 24-hour responsive lighting feature (due in week 14). Come to class next week with a proposal, either in drawing or written form, or both.
- Observation Assignment: Interior, lobby, hallway, or transitional space
Week 11: Apr. 17
- Presentation: show digital control assignment
- In-class: Discuss final, present ideas.
- Assignment: Develop a production plan and bill of materials for your fixture. Put it on your blog.
- Observation Assignment: Late afternoon, exterior. Pre-sunset or sunset. Example: Mercer St.
Week 12: Apr. 24
- In-class workshop: TBA, depending on final project needs
- Observation Assignment: Dusk, exterior or interior. post-sunset, pre-darkness.
Week 13: May 1
- Observation Assignment: Daytime, near a significant body of water. Example: East Hampton, sunset
Week 14: May 8
- Presentation: show 24-hour responsive fixtures