Democratizing media by breaking it down into discrete more easily remixable parts has historically led to an explosion of expression and knowledge creation. The invention of alphabets allowed for broad literacy and then the moveable type of the printing press ignited the enlightenment. The arrival of DNA allowed for our diversity and evolution of all life forms. Motion pictures, perhaps our most convincing medium, is now undergoing such a transformation thanks to virtual reality technologies. The iconic immersive headset is a distraction compared to the VR technologies for scanning, modelling and rendering reality using shared, reusable elements instead of just pixels.
- Think about how fake experience can be democratized.
- Learn to use networking, Web Interface, 3D graphics, and 3D capture for creating interactive media.
- Create a working proof of concept for a shared story space.
- Flicker – by Zach — Interesting recent research on how motion pictures work.
- The Art of Immersion – by Rose — Nice context for VR but not about VR.
- Psychocinematics – Shimamura Anthology exploring cognition at the movies.
- Embodied Cognition and Cinema — Peter Kravanja
- April 23
- Discussion: Why do people use media
- Reading: Universal Media, Jump To The Universal from The Beginning of Infinity
- Skill: Serialization and storage
- Overall Assignment: Motivate Story Telling
- Assignment: Save a story as data on a server. See notes for details. Begin to think (post? ) about the future of storytelling. Please use category ‘Social’
2) Settings and Cinematics
- Sunday March 25
- Discussion: Cinematics and Juxtaposition
- Skill: 360 Photography and three.js
- Reading: Pscychology of Cut, from Flicker: Your Brain on Movies by Zach, Cutting in VR by Jessica Brillhart
- Overall Assignment: Reflect Subjective Space
- Create a Panorama and put it a 3D Environment
- Add the ability to set cameras moves in your space. Please use Category ‘Settings’
3) Story Elements
- March 29
- Discussion: Continuum of abstraction in representation
- Reading: Remix, from The Inevitable by Kelly
- Skill: Kinect Depth Sensing, Scanning Objects
- Overall Assignment: Find Reusable Elements of Experience
- Assignment: Capture people and props for stories.Create foreground objects to include in last week’s setting. Use a capture tool for those elements, find a 3D Model in a Repository or make your own 3D model. vvPlease use category ‘Elements’
3.5) NOTE: NO CLASS ON APRIL 5
- April 12
- Discussion: You Are Not a Brain in a Jar
- Reading: Embodied Cognition and Cinema
- Skill: 3D Interface
- Overall Assignment: Use the Body
- Assignment: Allow a user to move or arrange the elements with something besides mouse and keyboard. Please use category ‘Interaction’
5) Searching Story Spaces
- April 19
- Discussion: If Everyone is a Producer (which they are) how do you go between versions.
- Skill: Database search, clustering.
- Overall Assignment: Find and Represent Overlap Between People
- Assignment: Imagine that everyone has created a Virtual World. Create an interface for finding and representing other peoples’ stories. Please use category ‘Story Space’
- (or) Assignment: Give us your big picture ideas about how emerging technologies and new forms of storytelling will change the media landscape. Please use category ‘Vision’
- April 26
- Discussion: Revisit What, Why and How of Interactive Story
- Skill: Distilling a proof of concept
- Finish your project and prepare a 10 min presentation. Please use category ‘Final’
7) Final Presentations
- May 3
- Discussion: Reaction to final projects
- On-time Participation 20%
- Blogging 20%
- Assignments 40%
- Final Project 20%