- Examine conscious and unconscious workings of your experience.
- Build tools for this examination, developing physical computing and programming skills in the process.
- Develop project ideas that explore the use of new technologies for navigating conscious and unconscious experience in healthier, more pro-social ways.
- General – Icognito, Stranger to Ourselves
- Sensual Illusion–Exercise, Visual Intelligence Hoffman, Media Equation Reeves and Nass, Phantoms in the Brain Ramachandran, Mind Hacks Stafford ,
- Illusions of Rationality– Thinking Fast and Slow Kahneman, Stumbling on Happiness Gilbert Fooled by Randomness Taleb Predictable Irrationality Ariel
- Temporal Illusions– Power of Now Tolle
- Illusion of Consciousness and Free Will– The Origins of Consciousness Jaynes, Stranger to Ourselves Willson, User Illusion Norretranders Out of Our Heads Noe
- Illusions of Agency– The Meme Machine BlackWell, Consciousness Explained, Dennett, The Selfish Gene Dawkins, On Being Certain, Burton
- Social Illusions — Righteous Mind Haidt, Presentation of Self in Everyday Life Goffman Moral Animal Wright How to Think More About Sex Botton
- Everything is Illusion – The Self-Aware Universe Goswami
- Interventions: Consciousness and the Brain Dehaene , Secret Life of Pronouns Pennebaker, Infinite Reality, Bailenson, Riveted Davies, Flicker Zachs, Religion for Atheists Botton, The Art Instinct, Dutton Mirroriing People, Iacoboni
- Recent Articles Rationality Therapy, Memes and Themes, Manipulating Faces
- Events: Consciousness Hacking Meetup, Quantified Self Meetup,
1) The Illusion January 27
- Discusssion: Expose our illusions and why we should care.
- Tech: Bio Sensing
- Sense some part of your autonomic nervous system
- Blog about why connecting computers with the rest of you might be interesting. Please associate post with category “Why”
- Discussion: Student Project Ideas.
- Show: Autonomic Sensors
- Tech: Logging and Graphing
- Reading: Positive Psychology, Behavior Change, Flow, Seligman 2, Rationality Camp, Power of Now, How can you work directly towards happiness.
- Graph your autonomic response in context of some other log of your day. Please document your work so far with a post using the category “Exposing ROY”
- Try to see Trish MacKenzie at ITP Thurs Feb 4 at 3:30pm
- Notes: Subliminal
- Discussion: Positive Psychology
- Show: Data collected from autonomic nervous system.
- Reading: Memes: Dennett, Blackmore, Deutsch (redburns),
- Assignment: Speak To Your Unconscious, Maybe Consciousness Hacking Thu Feb 18
7:00 PM or Self Quantifier Meet-up
4) E-Unconscious February 17
- Notes:Tech: Textual Analysis
- Discussion: Memes
- Show: Speaking To Your Unconscious
- Assignment: Find Patterns in your digital footprint. Please use the E-Unconsciou category
5) The Rest of Us Feb 24
- Discussion: Social Psychology
- Show: Digital Footprints
- Reading: Power of Ideals, Psychologist Take Charge
- Tech: Get on the same page
- Assignment: Build a machine to expose your intuitive prejudices, change your prejudices and induce empathy with people with different intuitions.
6) Final Project Proposal March 2
- Show: Collective Project
- Discussion: Final Projects
7) Final Presentations March 9
- Present Work
- On-time Participation 20%
- Blogging 20%
- Assignments 35%
- Final Project 25%