Here is a curve trace of the J train line, superimposed with 100 equidistant points. Each point was moved in the z-direction by a random number to simulate noise. Going forward in the class I am going to be doing field recording, or some other audio analysis to obtain noise data, and utilize it in a design relating to noise in the anthropocene.
Here is the Python script:
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
pntList = 
arrObjects = rs.GetObjects(“choose objects”, rs.filter.point, True, True)
for object in arrObjects:
pntLoc = rs.PointCoordinates(object)
z = random.uniform(0.0,4.0)
scale = (0, 0, z)
newPnt = rs.PointCoordinates(object)
poly = rs.AddPolyline(pntList)
For my midterm in Sculpting Data into Everyday Objects, I am interested in making a teacup from tea import/export data for the U.S. from 1961-2011. In general, I am interested in global trade policy and agricultural topography and this teacup could be seen as a corresponding case study. The Processing project folder where I have parsed the CSV data is here. Though I haven’t finished modeling the cup, it will look something like this:
To clarify, I’m having difficulties finishing the handle. Note it’s triangular bottom, pyramidical geometry and concave inner surface. Here is a quick sketch showing how the data will be embedded:
The early Rhino rendering showed above was made from a rough approximation of the data according to the sketch above (i.e. the termini of both data-informed contours are of the correct ratios but the actual curves through years 1962-2010 are were approximated).
I would like to powder-print the cup. One thing I want to investigate is whether there is a way to post-print fire or glaze the cup so that it might be safe to drink from.
The choice of object to fit the tea export/import data into is self-explanatory. In utilizing both the tea import and export data, the balance of both the cup but also the economic trading that governing the accessibility of tea in the U.S is affirmed. Note that the contours of the handle and cup fit snugly toward the bottom of the cup — this also suggests a delicate balance between the shaping data.
N.B. What I’ve written above is what I envision being observed about the final product — not what I see in it at the moment.
A visualization of beef exported (in tons, scaled down by 100000x) by countries in the years 2003, 2008, and 2013. I wanted to have the text names for the countries beneath the columns representing the data, but I haven’t yet figured out how to incorporate text correctly in P3D mode. I imagined the text being connected via lines to the 2003 data columns, and the text aligned obliquely — to save space but also not make the viewer turn their head 90 degrees just to read the labels. Another thing: I tried to include each “Year” label at the z-position of the corresponding data set, but the text looked really pixelated whenever I changed it’s z-position.
I also modeled the Panton Chair. I mistakenly included an odd protrusion at the top/head of the chair. Not sure exactly but I think I should have trimmed the lines on top to fix this.