Getting Enrolled in an Internship Class
ITP staff maintain ITP Opportunities, a public site and email list announcing jobs and internships that may be of interest to the ITP community.
Students seeking to enroll in an Internship course for credit need to:
- Complete the ITP Internship Request Form (click here) (note: you must be logged into your NYU Home account)
- After submitting the form, Dante will be notified and will manually enroll you in the Internship course (ITPG-GT 2100) and send a confirmation email. Please be sure you have sufficient space for the internship units to post to your schedule in Albert.
Internship courses are variable-unit, which means they can be taken from 1.0 to 6.0 units, depending on the number of hours worked (see those hourly requirements below).
We strongly recommend taking no more than 8.0 units of Internship courses during the two years at ITP, unless there is a compelling reason to exceed this guideline.
Fall / Spring/Summer Term Hourly Requirements:
- 1.0 unit: 3 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 42 hrs.
- 2.0 units: 6 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 84 hrs.
- 3.0 units: 9 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 126 hrs.
- 4.0 units: 12 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 168 hrs.
- 5.0 units: 15 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 210 hrs.
- 6.0 units: 18 hrs./wk over the 12-wk (Su)/14-wk (Fa/Sp) term, or a total of 252 hrs.
January Term Hourly Requirements:
- 1.0 unit: 14 hrs./wk over the 3-wk (Jan) term, or a total of 42 hrs.
- 2.0 units: 28 hrs./wk over the 3-wk (Jan) term, or a total of 84 hrs.
* These hourly requirements are minimums to pass the class at the designated unit level. There are no maximums, however, for international students with CPT, please see the additional guidelines below for planning your working hours:
CPT is typically done on a part-time basis (up to 20 hrs./wk) during the school year (Fall/Spring) and on a full-time basis during vacation periods (Summer).
If you work over 12 months of full-time CPT, you will forfeit all OPT. Please note, you may not work before the CPT start date or after the CPT end date listed on your I-20, and your CPT authorization cannot be modified or changed retroactively after your employment start date. You must present your CPT authorized I-20 to your internship Human Resources within the first 3 days of your internship start date.
The dates of the internship and the CPT authorization must fall within the dates of the internship course, if any. Exceptions are possible only within clear, academically based parameters and require prior approval by the department and by OGS. Also, CPT dates may not extend into an adjoining semester without additional enrollment for an internship course in that semester.
Optional Step: Apply for CPT – Curricular Practical Training (for International Students on F-1 Visas, doing PAID or UNPAID Internships)
For full information regarding Curricular Practical Training and other FAQs, please visit OGS’ CPT page here.
CPT allows you, as an F-1 student, to accept off-campus employment as part of the curriculum of your degree program. You must meet the following eligibility guidelines:
- You must have a job offer directly related to your program of study.
- You must have been a full-time student in the US for at least one academic year.
- You must be in valid F-1 status.
- You must be in good academic standing.
To begin the process, submit the online request (click here) to OGS for an I-20 authorizing you for CPT. On the online CPT request form, you will need to:
- List Dante as your adviser for the purposes of the CPT authorization process.
- Provide the name, address, and dates of employment for your proposed CPT employer.
- Upload a scanned copy of your I-94 record.
Once OGS receives both your request for a CPT and the electronic confirmation from Dante, it takes up to 5 business days to process your request. OGS will send an email to your NYU email address when your new CPT authorized I-20 is ready.
You will need to present your CPT authorized I-20 to your internship Human Resources within the first 3 days of your internship start date.
Once you receive your authorization for CPT, you must apply for a Social Security Number if you don’t already have one. You must have a Social Security Number before you can be paid.