Database Development Intern
PCI-Media Impact seeks an intern with knowledge and experience in the design and development of computer databases to support the Global Islands Partnership (GLISPA), a partnership of organizations and governments committed to advancing conservation of island biodiversity and sustainable livelihoods. The intern will work to design, develop, and implement a database to track GLISPA events, contacts and commitments to conservation. The internship may also support content migration for a website design program that is being run in parallel for GLISPA and Media Impact.
This internship is an excellent way to build a portfolio and network with organizations engaged in conservation of biodiversity at the global level as well as practical experience in database development for not for profits. Academic credit may be available subject to the academic institutions approval.
• Support the design and development of a database for the Global Island Partnership events, contacts and conservation commitments including scoping, design and data input;
• Support the migration of content to new websites;
• Support other related functions as required.
The successful intern will:
• Possess a degree or be working on a degree or masters in information systems, computer science and/or other relevant area.
• Have experience in database design and development.
• Knowledge of Windows-based database programs.
• Knowledge of web design is desirable.
• Be fluent in English.
• An interest or background in conservation of biodiversity and sustainable livelihoods on islands.
About the Global Island Partnership:
The Global Island Partnership (GLISPA) brings together island nations and nations with islands — small and large, developing and developed — to mobilize leadership, increase resources and share skills, knowledge, technologies and innovations in a cost-effective and sustainable way that will catalyze action for conservation and sustainable livelihoods on islands. GLISPA is recognized as a mechanism to implement the Convention on Biodiversity’s Programme of Work on Island Biodiversity and a Commission on Sustainable Development Best Practice Partnership. Learn more.
Please email your resume and cover letter in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Database Development Intern” in the subject of your email. No telephone calls, please.