Machine Shop Project Lead
Advanced Prototype Engineering (“APROE”) is a San Francisco based company focused on prototyping and the design and creation of high-end machine shops. We have relationships with some of the most prominent Bay Area tech and design firms who are expanding their footprint in the East Coast. This position will be a shared venture, partnered with a small manufacturing incubator in Brooklyn, NY.
The ideal candidate is experienced with industrial machines, and has been involved in the creation of a machine shop from the ground up. He/she is a good researcher, is organized, and has a solid understanding of construction and architecture. A background in engineering, fabrication, machining and/or manufacturing is a plus. Excellent communication skills are a must, as this position will require daily interaction with clients, shop users, and members of multiple project teams.
Initially the Project Lead will communicate with various parties to coordinate the delivery and setup of machines in the designated shop space with awareness of workflow, building codes, and accessibility. Once the shop is setup, the position will transition into running the day to day operations of the shop. The position will also involve seeking out and pursuing relationships with small businesses looking for prototype-building services for products that require machining (CNC and manual), digital fabrication, welding, injection molding, and woodworking.
This is a full-time position. Excellent time management skills are a must. APROE seeks candidates that are upbeat and communicative, drama averse, get things done, and eager to learn. The candidate must be equally comfortable in a shop and client development setting. APROE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
– Assist in the receiving, placement, installation and calibration of machines
– Manage ongoing use of the shop including personnel, training, machine maintenance & materials
– Act as the East Coast liaison for machine shop clients and prototyping clients
– Ability to direct shop users in equipment use and best methods for accomplishing tasks
– Experience designing or creating a machine shop is a MUST
– Experience in fabrication – CNC and basic machining at a minimum
– Experience with architectural design or the construction industry
– Familiarity with Revit a plus
– Proficient in MS Office, Google Drive, and generally tech savvy
– Strong command of English language, including technical nomenclature, is a MUST
– Ability to travel by car and air
– Ability to stand and operate machinery for long periods of time
– Ability to pick up 50 pounds
– Ability to walk around, including climbing stairs, and navigating various stages of construction
Please reply to email@example.com by attaching your resume and including a short cover letter within the body of the email. Please make the subject line: “[Your last name]: Machine Shop Project Lead” (so, if your last name is “Smith”, the subject line should read “Smith: Machine Shop Project Lead”). Due to the expected volume of applicants, not all submissions will receive a reply.