Backend Developer at the Mayor’s Office for Economic Opportunity
Put your data, design, and digital skills into service. Improve the lives of millions of New Yorkers.
The Mayor’s Office for Economic Opportunity works to reduce poverty and broaden opportunity by advancing the use of data and evidence in program and policy design, service delivery, and budget decisions.
As part of the Technology Development Team, the Back End Developer manages the interchange of data between the server and the end user interface. They will manage the development of all server-side logic, definition and integration to ensure high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front end.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front end developers with server side logic.
- Develop and implement web services and APIs.
- Setup and manage hosting environments including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes; work with the NYC Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT), the City’s centralized technology organization, as required.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers and other technology development team members on prototyping and user testing efforts.
- Coordinate development efforts with internal and vendor teams.
- Implement security and data protection protocols in accordance with citywide security policies.
- Provide production management support input for the design of new application builds.
- Investigate and follow-up with various stakeholders (e.g., DoITT, vendors) to resolve issues.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- Proficient knowledge of most common databases include Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, CouchDB, etc.
- Experience working with web services like SOAP, REST and code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Experience working with cloud computing integration such AWS, Azure or private cloud environments.
- Familiar with backend frameworks to build server-side software like Node.js, Express.js.
- Understanding accessibility and security compliance including user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Experience and knowledge of Content management system (CMS) development, deployment, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of rules engines, such as Drools development, deployment, and maintenance.