The Department of Music, Multimedia, Theatre and Dance invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship beginning Fall 2019. Candidates must have an active record of research/scholarship/creative works, and a strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level.
Responsibilities include leading the advancement of technology-infused creative practice across the Department of Music, Multimedia, Theatre & Dance and the larger Lehman College campus. This practice encompasses performance-based project development, curation, archiving of performances, teaching, and curriculum development. The successful candidate will appreciate the opportunity and challenge of bringing together disparate strands of technology-enhanced teaching and learning across the Department of MMTD.
The ideal candidate will be an artist-teacher with exemplary knowledge and experience in the use of technology in creative performance and arts education. Demonstrated achievement in the fields of media, new visual practice, and/or media performance is required. Candidates should have expert facility in the field of audio/visual culture and other relevant fields and disciplines.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate level courses in Tools of Digital Storytelling; Digital Storytelling; Multimedia Production and Post-Production Workshops; Multimedia Performing Arts capstone projects; engage in research and the creation of professional performance work in area of specialization and scholarship; advise students; attend department meetings; provide service to the department, college, university, and community; i.e. committee, administrative,supervisory,and otherassignmentsnormally associated with a full-time tenure-track academic appointment, evening teaching may be required, and participation at weekend recruitment events, evening rehearsals, tech weeks, and performances.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC POSITION DETAILS
The Lehman College campus is located in Bronx, New York and is a Senior College within the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Lehman is the only four-year public college in the Bronx and is recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institution. The college serves mainly undergraduate students preparing them for employment, the professions and further study. The teaching load is 21 hours (7 courses) per year and although the college is predominantly teaching focused, faculty at Lehman are active in research, scholarship and creative works. Service to the college, university and community is part of the mission as is a clear commitment to student engagement including advisement. Teaching is reduced for junior faculty over the first five years for scholarly development and all faculty are actively encouraged to seek external funding. Opportunities are available for faculty development and travel awards. Lehman College and CUNY internal funding is available through competitive grants for scholarship support.
M.F.A.in Creative Technology/Digital Storytelling or a related academic field of Performing Arts Creative Technology with a focus on live performance integrated with digital performance is required on commencement of the appointment.Alsorequired aretheabilitytoteachsuccessfully,demonstratedscholarship orachievement, andabilitytocooperatewith othersforthe good ofthe institution.
While we recognize that no single candidate will possess all of the following, the ideal candidate will have:
- A graduate degree in directly related field; M.F.A. required
- An emerging regional and national recognition as a practicing artist
- A minimum of three years of experience teaching in higher education
- Broad-based understanding of creative technologies used in the creation of live and recorded theatre, multimedia, dance, and music performances and productions
- A significant interest in transdisciplinary collaboration
- A track record of performing and/or creation of performances, and/or publishing in conventional and non-traditional forums
- An interest in building a core technology-based curriculum in an extremely active production BFA program in Multimedia Performing Arts.
- Experience in mentoring students for careers in performing arts fields
- Knowledge of the current trends and transformations in the professional landscape and industries
- An openness to sharing ideas, experience and knowledge with others
- Excellent organizational, collaboration, and communication skills
- Administrative experience in an academic or arts institution is a plus
Salaries are commensurate with education and experience and they are subject to the Professional Staff Congress-CUNY salary schedule (see link to salary schedule: http://www.psc-cuny.org/contract/psc-cuny-contract-salary-schedule.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
To find out more and apply: