Experiential Space Research Lab Open Call
The Experiential Space Research Lab is focused on exploring the potential of immersive art and design as critical thinking tools for addressing the pressing issues of our time. The six-month Incubator program provides two teams of artists with seed funding, mentorship, and a final exhibition at Gray Area.
We encourage media artists with an entrepreneurial spirit and systems orientation to apply. In the Incubator, we will work together to prototype, develop, produce and market an experiential space, which is modular and can tour to other locations. Successful artworks may be offered opportunities to install in various sites, beyond Gray Area.
We will be hosting two ‘Immersive Design Mixers’ to answer questions as well as provide a space for artists to meet potential collaborators.
Immersive Design Reality Mixer – Launch: May 30, 6-8pm
Immersive Design Reality Mixer – Showcase Closing: June 20, 5-7pm
Accepted applicants will join the Incubator from July 18, 2019 through January 17, 2020 to facilitate creating immersive installations showcased in a final exhibition. Artists will work in collaboration with partners possessing expertise in the following fields to engage the following topics:
- Background: thinking about living systems
- Curatorial Strategies: creating art centered around social and civic responsibility
- Economic Strategies: supporting artists within an immersive format
- Operations & Facilities: producing sustainable installations that scale
- Enactive Environments: prototyping and developing experiential spaces
- The Web of Life: A New Scientific Understanding of Living Systems by Fritjof Capra
- Staying with the Trouble: Making Kin in the Chthulucene by Donna Haraway
Articles / Essays
Open Call Theme developed in partnership with Gaian.Systems.
Click here for more info.