Under direction from the Art Director and the Associate Director of Web Communications, the UI/UX Web Designer will work collaboratively with a team of UX, UI, and development professionals to design, develop, and enhance a continuously evolving network of websites and web applications. Efforts will include the design and improvement of web properties encompassing the Weill Cornell Medical College mission for research targeted at both the general public and medical researchers. Combined, the online assets support the patient care, research, and educational missions of one of the most prestigious academic medical colleges in the country. We are dedicated to great user-centered design, technical innovation, and a progressive work culture that values respect, integrity, and professional development.
· Designs visually attractive and highly usable web interfaces.
· Stays relevant to emerging trends in subject areas related to contemporary web design. Attends relevant training conferences and forums to increase knowledge base.
· Undertakes critique and direction, takes part in relevant discussions and team client meetings.
· Maintains project schedules through timely fulfillment of design milestones and tracking of work progress through online reporting mechanisms.
· Communicates detailed notes and specifications to development team members for efficient progression from design concept through execution.
· Provides input to the group on design and technical issues, concepts, and mockups to help advance the shared web vision for all clients and services.
· Creates sitemaps, wireframes, visual mockups, and design prototypes to assist in recommending design solutions.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BFA preferred) with course work focused on website design, user interface methodology, design theory and the creative process. 2-4 years professional experience with an exceptional portfolio may be substituted for this requirement.
- A digital portfolio is required.
- Clear comprehension of UX and UI design fundamentals (i.e. ability to execute a design concept, take art direction, modify and evolve a design based on feedback, etc.)
- Experience in designing web architectures for Content Management System (CMS) integration into websites.
- Proven interaction-design methodologies, including documenting user flows, creating information architectures and wireframes, and presenting design ideas to a clients and team members.
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite CS5 and above (particularly Photoshop and Illustrator).
Highly Desired Requirements
- Experience designing websites for the Drupal 7 Content Management System
- Experience with mobile device interaction design and optimizing web platforms to take advantage of mobile device integration.
- Experience in designing and coding pages (including HTML and CSS) that are cross-platform and cross-browser compatible.
Skill and Abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills; able to work with designers, developers, management teams and clients.
- Ability to multi-task and self-prioritize work.
- Familiarity and engagement with tools, trends, standards, and theories within the contemporary user interface and user experience culture and industry.
- Active involvement and familiarity with the global web development community.
- Demonstrates experience designing web site and application interfaces including strong visual-design skills and user experience; demonstrated ability to adapt to different design styles and adhere to a brand; extensive practical experience and strong skills in graphic design and with overall website development.
- Strong understanding of modern web design principles in regard to typography, color, architecture, responsive designs, mobile first strategy, etc.
- Familiarity and engagement with tools, trends, standards, and theories within the contemporary UI culture and industry.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position.
-New York City
-Information Technologies & Services Department
Number of Openings