Brooklyn College Community Partnership (BCCP) partners with NYC public high
schools and middle schools in the Brooklyn community to offer academic support,
college access, work-readiness, social justice and arts-based programs. Working from the
Psychology Department at Brooklyn College, we focus on relationship-building first and
programming second. The main hub for BCCP is the Brooklyn College Art Lab (BCAL),
a 6900 sq. ft. youth-dedicated, drop-in site on the Brooklyn College campus.
Makerspace Facilitator will work closely with Deputy Director and BCAL Site Director
and BCCP team to design and build our makerspace. You will also work in conjunction
with other teaching arts and BCCP partners throughout the year.
The job will start with 20 – 40 hours spread out between June and July to order
equipment and help pre-plan the maker camp. In August, the BCCP Design team will run
a maker camp and co-design charrette to create the space and prototype how the space is
used. You will be closely involved in this process and hours will go up to 25-30 per week
in August. September 2014-through June 2015, hours will start at 19 per week and could
rise based on funding.
1. Facilitate maker workshops with young people that cross-sect digital and physical
2. Purchase, order, organize, instruct and maintain Makerspace tools and equipment
including Macintosh computers, 3-D printer, laser cutters and ancillary electronics
and analogue supplies. Develop and enhance Makerspace information signage,
window displays and organization.
3. Supervise, train and schedule Makerspace interns and college-level staff
4. Assist in maintaining ongoing evaluation of space
5. Collaborate with BCCP staff and outside partners to develop maker education
6. Research, develop and prototype maker activities
Skills and Experience:
• Commitment to the BCCP philosophy and mission of relationship-building,
recognizing assets in youth and experiential learning
• Three years experience working with youth in an experiential learning
environment. E.g. summer camp counselor, museum facilitator, etc.
• Lifelong learner. You like to know how the world around us works.
• Maker! Tell us about your maker skill(s) – be it 3-D design, woodworking,
cooking, coding, electronics, sewing, or some other way you entertain yourself
and others with your creativity.
• Comfortable with the use of and teaching of hand tools, electronics, computer
software, hardware and various other technologies
• Strong communications skills. The ability to express ideas clearly, both in written
and oral form.
• Be solutions-based
• Effective collaborator – experience working with teams
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com by Thursday, May 28th.
Please make sure to include examples and links to things you have made in your cover
letter. Please also include your portfolio if you have one.