Founded in 2006, NYDesigns is an incubator of LaGuardia Community College / CUNY
dedicated to the success of design and hardware tech startups in NYC. Companies in
our incubator get three years of private studio space and access to a network of
mentors and advisers. Makers can prototype their design ideas in our 5,000-sq-ft
fabrication lab. We produce events and programs for a thriving community of
creators and innovators.
NYDesigns seeks an Assistant Director to manage a diverse and dynamic team of
professionals and supervise daily operations. You will be a critical member of our leadership
team to ensure we provide entrepreneurs, makers and students with the most relevant and
impactful programming and support. You are well-versed in performance and operations
management and deeply networked in the entrepreneurship, design and technology
communities in NYC.
• Manage staff to support high performance in alignment with the strategic goals.
• Develop collaborative opportunities within the college community, both with
workforce development programs and with credit degrees, in alignment with the
activities and mission of NYDesigns.
• Represent and support the director in external events and partnerships,
strengthening the incubator’s profile with the entrepreneurship, tech and design
communities in NYC.
• Work with the director to coordinate and supervise daily operations, ensuring
compliance with regulations and internal policies.
• Assist in the budgeting and monitoring of revenues and expenses on a monthly basis.
• Oversee all external communications, within the college, with partners, and with the
public in general. Interface with marketing and PR agencies and consultants.
Planning and strategy
• Assist in developing and implementing plans and goals for the department,
performance benchmarks and cultivates a data-driven culture of outcomes
measurement as part of the strategic planning process
• Develops funding proposals; solicits grant information and provides leadership and
guidance in partnering with community and governmental agencies.
• Monitor staff attendance and HR budgets.
• Coordinate hiring of staff and contractors.
• Support staff training and evaluation on a regular basis.
29-10 Thomson Avenue, 7th Floor Telephone (718) 663 8400 www.nydesigns.org
Long Island City, NY 11101
NYDesigns is a program of LaGuardia Community College
• Supervisory experience of at least 3 years
• Familiar with the entrepreneurship, innovation, design and tech ecosystems in NYC
• Excellent organizational and leadership skills
• Outstanding communication and public speaking skills
• Grant writing and management experience preferred
• Proficient in MS Office and Google apps, relational databases and software (e.g. ERP
• BA/BS in business administration or related field; MA/MS/MBA preferred
This is a full-time position with an excellent benefits package. Salary commensurate
with experience. The position is based at NYDesigns at LaGuardia Community College
in Long Island City, Queens.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to mailto:email@example.com with
“Assistant Director” in the subject line.