TECH & FACILITIES MANAGER
HOURS: Full Time, exempt
Experience: 3-5 Years Experience
NEW INC is the first museum-led incubator for cultural practitioners and creative
entrepreneurs working at the intersection of art, design and technology. Founded by the
New Museum in 2014 and now in its fourth year of operations, NEW INC offers a
shared workspace and professional development program designed to support an
interdisciplinary community of 100 creatives as they investigate new ideas and develop
sustainable business models.
The Tech & Facilities Manager is a dynamic, hands-on role overseeing NEW INC’s
4,000 sq. ft. maker space, its fabrication and A/V equipment, and 8,000 sq. ft. coworking
facility. We are seeking a talented, energetic and creative technologist with a strong
grasp of both digital fabrication tools (software and hardware) and a working knowledge
of common A/V and IT technology and best practices. The position will report to NEW
INC’s Director and be responsible for the development, upkeep, and maintenance of all
tech equipment, as well as maintaining and enforcing safety protocols, leading
equipment trainings, assisting members with troubleshooting and technical issues,
purchasing supplies and materials, and liaising with vendors or contractors. We are
looking to grow our fabrication resources and technology expertise and this position will
play a pivotal role in helping to define opportunities for growth and development of our
maker space, assisting the Director in pursuing partnerships with equipment
manufacturers, suppliers, and other fabrication shops in New York City.
The position requires a candidate with meticulous organizational skills and attention to
detail, excellent problem-solving skills, an efficient and systems-oriented work style, and
great customer service. A keen ability to pick up new skills and technical competencies
and a passion for teaching and helping others is paramount. The ideal candidate will be
a proactive self-starter able to juggle several projects and tasks simultaneously,
propose opportunities for improvement and systems optimization, and anticipate
problems before they arise.
• Oversees all daily facilities operations including cleanliness, repairs, security
accessibility, and IT, working with the Head of Operations and relevant New
Museum departments to address any larger adjustments or concerns on a rolling
basis. This includes but is not limited to: Wi-Fi and accessibility, hardware,
maintenance, replenishment of supplies, and space additions.
• Oversees the maintenance, access, and safe usage of all digital, fabrication and
A/V equipment at NEW INC including: 3D printers, laser cutter, desktop CNC,
SLR cameras, large format printers, projectors, computers, associated software
and any other equipment that may be added in the future.
• Develops and leads equipment training programs and workshops.
• Supports NEW INC staff and community members with any technical
troubleshooting on digital or fabrication equipment, as well as standard IT
questions that may arise, such as Wi-Fi connectivity or printer set-up.
• Maintains a well-organized inventory of all accompanying supplies, cables,
materials, tools, files, data, or other relevant material associated with the
productive use of equipment and facilities.
• Supports technology needs for all NEW INC events, including professional
development seminars, workshops, Demo Day, public programs and
conferences, and off-site retreat.
• Manages maintenance contracts, maintenance routines and maintenance best
practices for all equipment.
• Works with the Director to identify potential equipment partners or sponsors to
increase or update existing equipment resources.
• At minimum must hold a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in a
• 3-5 years professional experience as a studio manager, fabrication assistant,
shop manager, IT, architect or product designer, art handler, or other relevant
• Proficiency in Operating Systems like Windows, Mac & Unix, design software
(Rhino, Grasshopper, AutoCAD, etc.), and programming languages is desirable.
• Experience with any of the following fabrication technologies: 3D Printing, 3D
Scanning, Laser Cutting, CNC Routing, Electronics, Molding and casting is
• Knowledge of safe work practices for digital fabrication and OSHA Safe
• Must have a commitment to high standards of execution while meeting deadlines
and juggling several tasks simultaneously.
• Excellent verbal, written and communication skills, as well as a passion for
teaching and helping others.
• Resilient, hands-on and pro-active.
• Results oriented, able to understand job requirements and provide solutions
under budgetary constraints.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently, manage time and hit deadlines with
calmness under pressure.
• Nimble, comfortable and excited to work in a fast-paced, growth-oriented
• Strong interpersonal skills and a customer service mentality oriented towards
helping our community members in a timely and friendly manner.
There are many exciting benefits to working at the New Museum, one of the most
cutting-edge contemporary art institutions in the world. Staff are encouraged to attend
events and public programs at the Museum and receive free entry to other museums in
New York City and all over the world. In addition, the New Museum offers a nimble,
growth-oriented, and collaborative work environment, as well as a competitive salary
and benefits package.
NEW INC, the Museum’s newest program, is establishing a new model for museums
and cultural institutions as the first-ever museum-led incubator. This role offers the
successful candidate an opportunity to join NEW INC’s tight-knit team and help build,
shape and grow an important and influential program that is charting a new course for
cultural impact in the rapidly evolving space of contemporary culture, technological
innovation, and the new economy.
Please send resume and a letter of interest, and salary requirements to