Anderson Ranch Arts Center
Full-time, Fablab / Fabrication and Technology Technician
Position Title: Fablab / Fabrication and Technology Technician
Reports to: Artistic Director
Type: Fulltime, year-round position – 60 hours or more per week (including
weekends) from mid-May – September. Approximately 40 hours per week from
October – mid-May.
Start Date: January 2, 2018
Submissions will be accepted until position is filled. If interested in this position,
please apply through the Slideroom.com link below:
No phone calls, please.
Position Summary: The Fabrication and Technology Technician supports the
Artistic Director in the operation, maintenance and technical aspects of the
Fablab studio, facilities and equipment. This person is responsible for the
stewardship of the Fablab studio, maintaining supplies, general upkeep and
maintenance of the facilities; in addition to providing technical assistance to
residents, visiting artists, summer faculty, and students. The Fablab is a studio
facility shared across the Ranch, and supports all disciplines working in digital
fabrication. This position is a year-round, full-time position, approximately 40
hours per week from October through mid-May and 60 plus hours per week from
mid-May through September.
● Oversee and maintain all technical aspects including software programing
and hardware (machinery) in the Fablab and Sculpture program.
● Have a working knowledge of fabrication equipment in the studios such as
vinyl cutter, plotter, laser cutter, CNC mill, plasma cutter and Makerbots.
● Management of day-to-day maintenance of studio building and facilities,
such as cleaning, custodial duties, heating, plumbing and mechanical
● In collaboration with the Artistic Director; order, design and install major
and minor equipment, oversee the safety of studio facilities including first
aid supplies, maintain the fire alarm systems with regular inspections.
● Service to the Ranch – the manager will be responsible for executing
Ranch projects as needed, serving all departments.
● Assist with summer and non-summer workshops, work with Artistic
Director to manage supply lists, order supplies and assist in the
coordination of departmental workshops.
● Train and supervise interns consistent with Ranch policies.
● Participate in all staff, art team and departmental meetings.
● Provide technical support and assistance to residents and visiting artists
and Artistic Directors.
● Support Ranch outreach activities and educational programs when
● Participate in Ranch special events.
● Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
● Embrace stewardship of the Fablab with a positive and flexible attitude.
● A performance review after 3 months, job progression is conditional.
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Bachelor’s Degree
● 2-3 years of experience in a similar position
● Candidates must have a working knowledge of contemporary digital and
traditional fabrication techniques.
● Ability to maintain the Fablab facilities and make repairs to machinery and
● Knowledge of different software packages needed for digital fabrication
and 3D printing. Desired experience includes working with software like
Rhino, Sketchup and Illustrator.
● Have exceptional organizational skills and ability to multitask, and the
ability to troubleshoot.
● Ability to take initiative; seek and accept guidance and supervision as
● Ability to establish priorities, respond to unanticipated needs and work
● Comfortable providing instruction to small groups or tutoring one-on-one.
● Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others.
● Ability to work in a team and be part of a community.
● Willingness to undergo training and professional development.
Compensation and Benefits:
● Salary commensurate with experience
● Seasonal meals
● Individual health insurance coverage
● HSA funding (Health Savings Account)
● Option to opt into a dental and vision plan
● Retirement plan with year-end discretionary match
● Paid vacation, holidays and sick leave
Note: This job summary is not to be interpreted to be all-inclusive. It is
intended to identify the essential functions and qualifications of the job. The
applicant may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks
other than those stated in this job description. Certain functions not explicitly
stated above are nevertheless understood to be essential to this position.
Anderson Ranch is an equal opportunity employer.