NYU Abu Dhabi
Interactive Media, Creative Technologist Faculty
NYU Abu Dhabi is currently inviting applications for an open rank, full time, non-tenure track multi-year faculty position in the Interactive Media program to begin Fall 2019. The Interactive Media program is a newly established Bachelor of Arts major at NYUAD that combines art, interaction design, communications, computer science, and engineering. The program was established 6 years ago as a multidisciplinary minor, and is formally housed in the University’s Arts and Humanities Division but has broad reach across the University. The mission of the program is to foster the creative use of emerging technologies for communication and expression as well as to leverage the creative process as a means to engage in both theoretical and critical discourse.
We are looking for a creative technologist who:
- Is fluent in computer programming. Physical computing as a secondary focus is a plus
- Engages in creative practice that has a critical component, actively exploring new tools and modes of expression, and able to inspire students to do the same
- Possesses an understanding of the aesthetic, cultural, social, political, and ethical implications of working with new communication technologies and emerging media
The Interactive Media program is integrated into the NYUAD liberal arts experience and is interested in faculty who consider teaching an extension of their research. Inherent to the program’s values is an agility with regard to interactive media and its rapid evolution, and thus we welcome faculty who will contribute to the development of the curriculum.
As a rapidly growing program, applicants will be favorably considered who can teach the following courses:
- Foundation classes in creative programming, physical computing, web, and multimedia software
- Intermediate and advanced electives that fuse technical instruction, theoretical and critical discourse, and creative production. Specific topics of interest include user experience, web technologies, assistive technologies, networking, spatial media, media for live performance, alternative realities, immersive worlds, artificial intelligence, and software and data art
- Senior capstone seminar and senior capstone project work
Across the program, Interactive Media faculty focus on experimentation and production both inside and outside of the classroom. Our approach to learning relies more on collaboration rather than competition so as to cultivate an accessible environment in which playful exploration, critical analysis, risk-taking, and failure can freely occur. Classes are run in a workshop-like environment facilitating active learning and encouraging discussion of concept, content, technique and impact. Engaging with students beyond class time in the program’s lab space through project assistance, personal direction, and community activities is key.
Good interpersonal skills to collaborate with colleagues and actively interact with students in a multicultural education setting are highly desirable. Connection or experience with the region is also a plus. Applicants from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates for this position should hold a MFA, MPS or graduate degree in a related field (candidates with a bachelor’s degree and significant professional experience may be considered), University-level teaching experience and a strong record of professional achievement is preferred. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, two syllabi for courses you would be inclined to teach and a list of two references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting March 25, 2019, and the position will remain open until the position is filled for Fall 2019. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Hiring for this position is subject to final budgetary approval.
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more and apply here.