DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
The Development & Communications Associate supports Storefront in all fundraising and communications activities for the organization. In terms of development, the position supports the organization’s major areas of funding, including institutional and foundation giving, membership development (corporate and individual), special events, and earned income. The position also supports all public communications conducted by the organization, including email and print communications, website maintenance, social media channels, press and media relations, internal and external events and public appearances, and publications. Creative thinking and problem solving are essential skills for employees of Storefront.
- Outstanding written communication skills, including drafting content, editing, and proofreading in English. Proficiency in other languages is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups.
- Strong organizational, administrative, and time management skills with impeccable attention to detail and timelines.
- High energy, creative thinking, and team player attitude.
- Proficient with Google Drive applications, Microsoft Office applications, CRM and database software, website and social media channels, and basic HTML (preferred)
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), and Google Slides. Other presentation applications is a plus.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment that changes regularly based on programming.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and curious lover of culture with a knowledge and understanding of art and architecture. The candidate should be able to simultaneously work on large Excel/Google Sheets documents and editorial content for social media posts with equal passion. They will be brilliant, quick, flexible, team-oriented, affable, and well-rounded.
The candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and will be able to quickly develop appropriate relationships with Storefront members, corporate sponsors, the press, and the Board of Directors, among other audiences. They will have strong negotiation skills, as well as superior verbal and written communication skills. They will have an entrepreneurial spirit and a demonstrated ability to think creatively in order to achieve communications and development goals. Ideal candidates will hold a Bachelor or Masters degree in a related field, with knowledge and/or interest in management and arts administration in nonprofit environments.
Institutional and Foundation Giving
- Draft and edit content and documentation for grant applications
- Manage, alongside Deputy Director, development and maintenance of grant calendar
- Draft, edit, and prepare documents for final reports
- Acknowledge successful grant applications
- Organize and maintain files of all grant applications and materials
- Research prospective grants and carefully maintain records in organizational database
Membership Development (Corporate and Individual)
- Maintain and update membership roster; ensure proper listing and acknowledgment of donors
- Manage member correspondence
- Proactively assist in the solicitation of new members
- Conduct prospect donor and member research and develop innovative ideas and strategy for solicitation of new individual and corporate members
- Prepare, execute, and oversee annual appeal mailings
- Develop and maintain membership events calendar
- Coordinate planning and execution of membership events
- Ensure membership benefits are fulfilled
- Solicit renewals of membership, including preparation of renewal letters on an ongoing basis
- Conduct up-to-date research and reports on potential improvements, changes, or needs regarding the structure and content of the organization’s multilevel membership program
- Maintain and manage database to track and acknowledge donor gifts, histories, and profiles
- Research prospective donors and carefully maintain records in the organization’s database
- Prepare and send acknowledgment letters for all contributions in a timely manner, including contributions made by cash, check, credit card, and online
- Coordinate planning, execution, and evaluation of all special events, including Storefront’s Membership Dinner, Spring Benefit, and all membership events
- Oversee and secure online presence of all events
- Assist in public relations and communications for special events
- Assist in coordination and implementation of proactive communications strategies targeted towards existing and new potential event sponsors
- Process credit card payments for ticket/sponsorship purchases
- Track income received through special events and ensure all gifts are properly acknowledged
- Coordinate staff roles for all events; draft and distribute memos to full team prior to events
- Solicit in-kind donations for all events
- Assist in planning of cultivation and events, including openings, dinners, and donor receptions
- Create and present evaluations and analysis of all events
- Manage Storefront’s online editions and publication sales and all subscription platforms
- Process online book sales and help to drive in-gallery limited edition sales
- Assist in managing gallery and space rental requests
- Maintain development files, records, and archive
- Maintain inventory of limited editions and books available for sale in Storefront’s collection
- Make recommendations on additional ways to secure earned income
Email and Print Communications
- Assist in coordination of design, production, and dissemination of newsprints and eblasts
- Collaborate in editing of curatorial statements and other texts for print and electronic materials
- Analyze web and email stats quarterly, and generate reports and evaluations
- Serve as webmaster and editor of Storefront’s website
- Assist in coordinating development of website specific to project-based websites, such as for Storefront’s yearlong program, Building Cycles
Social Media Channels
- Develop daily social media communications statements and mentions
- Assist in creation of conceptual framework for communications
- Propose creative strategies and projects to engage audiences online
- Maintain social media calendar and manage creation and dissemination of content
- Coordinate weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly social media analyses and reports
- Manage press tracking and press archiving
- Create and manage press kits and materials for dissemination
- Serve as primary liaison for press requests (images, captioning, curatorial quotes, etc.)
Internal and External Events and Public Appearances
- Work with Gallery and Operations Manager to coordinate the documentation of all Storefront exhibitions, events, and programs, ensuring all programs are photographed digitally, videotaped, and livestreamed
- Assemble informational/institutional packets for events and meetings
- Develop and maintain lists of existing and potential public appearances, and opportunities for Storefront’s external engagement
- Promote and drive sales of Storefront publications
- Coordinate the arrival and sales of books for book launch events
- Maintain inventory of books with Gallery and Operations Manager
- Assist In preparation of materials for board meetings, including agendas, minutes, and financial and programmatic reports
- Schedule board meetings, board committee meetings, and coordinate attendance considering various individual schedules
- Hire and manage Development and Communications interns; supervise departmental assistants, interns, and other team members as required
- Participate in development planning and strategy meetings
- Propose institutional partnerships and manage relationships with various partners
- Manage office logistics (ordering supplies, keeping the space organized, etc.) and events (ordering wine, snacks, etc.) in coordination with Gallery and Operations Manager
- Represent and promote the mission and vision of Storefront to the public
- Attend programs and events as required
- Other duties as assigned
To apply, please email a single PDF document (maximum 5 MB) including a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (5 pages total maximum) to email@example.com with the subject line “Development & Communications Associate.”
This is a paid full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Attendance at off-site, evening, and weekend events and programs is expected.