Senior User Experience Designer, Global Web Design
Sony Corporation of America, based in New York, NY, is the U.S. subsidiary of Sony Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Sony is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its motion picture, television, computer entertainment, music and online businesses make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment and technology companies in the world.
Sony Corporation of America (SCA) is seeking an experienced Senior User Experience Designer (Sr. UXD) to join our Global Retail office, located in San Francisco. This individual will help drive strategy and shape e-commerce initiatives for one of the world’s top brands.
As a senior creative in Sony’s Global Retail Organization (GRO) the Sr. UXD will work closely with our Creative Director to define the navigation, organization, interaction design, and user process for Sony web sites globally. He/she will apply user-centered design methods to translate user needs, business objectives, and technology capabilities into world-class user experiences.
As a senior-level practitioner, the Sr. UXD will be expected to lead tracks of work, work directly with internal clients, and be an advocate for the end-user. He/she will present conceptual work to executive management and work as a partner with multiple teams to monitor the integrity of the design through deployment.
This position requires a proven track record of conceptual and strategic thinking for the web (particularly on global, enterprise-scale e-commerce sites); the ability to find and tell the story around a given idea; the ability to articulate the rationale behind the work; the ability to discuss design rationale with creatives and business teams; the desire and aptitude to participate in the creative output of the design team; and demonstrable understanding of multiple disciplines – visual design, development, usability, strategy, information architecture systems, content strategy, and marketing.
Job Responsibilities to include:
- Accountable for designing effective, innovative and on-strategy e-commerce and premium product marketing concepts and designs and monitoring the integrity of the design through deployment.
- Relied upon to conceive of and lead high quality interactive work that pushes the Sony brand forward.
- Understand and design for the array of technical constraints, user goals and business requirements that shape a project.
- Collaborate with agency partners, designers and programmers to conceive and prototype interaction models, and user interfaces to build a robust design pattern library for use at Sony.com.
- Expertly craft documentation to represent the user experience, including: user scenarios, functional specifications, detailed wireframes and flow diagrams, schematics, and prototypes.
- Communicate, document, and represent interactive design direction to business partners and the executive team.
- Bachelor’s degree in human factors, graphic design, interface design or multimedia related field required with a minimum of 5 years’ experience designing online experiences for enterprise scale web applications (in lieu of a degree we require a minimum of 10 years of experience). Agency work preferred
- Must have a design portfolio demonstrating experience working on global enterprise-scale sites, with significant amounts of content and interactive complexity, solid design ideas, and thorough understanding of good design process
- Good at presenting a strong point-of-view from the user’s perspective and selling creative ideas to influence decisions with business team and executive management
- Proficiency with the latest Adobe Creative Suite software with the ability to prototype design ideas and interaction models required
- Excellent conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate with agency partners, creative directors, designers and developers to envision and iterate concepts
- Excellent leadership skills: keeps a level head, solves problems, motivates the team, and engenders confidence
- Ability to communicate effectively with creative and project management staff with trust and respect
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to articulate complex concepts persuasively using a visual vocabulary and guide discussions in order to achieve an optimal user experience required
- Must have strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
- Excellent layout skills with proper usage of white space, contrast, consistency and gestalt principles required
- Ability to be flexible and precise under tight deadlines and with changing requirements and feedback required
- Must be passionate about user-centered design and advocate for best practices
- Ability to travel when required – domestically & internationally
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.