osition Description: Mentor, Afterschool digital enrichment program
The Institute of Play, seeks a motivated, youth‐oriented, design and technology‐savvy individual to teach in its afterschool program, Short Circuit. Short Circuit is an enrichment program developed by the Institute of Play for Quest to Learn, the innovative new game-based, public school it founded in 2009. Short Circuit extends into the afterschool space the school’s focus on tinkering, problem solving, collaboration and invention.
Short Circuit provides a studio-like learning environment where kids explore and experiment in digital and analog areas working with everything from papers to pixels. During Short Circuit, students are given the chance to build expertise in a range of design, media and technology skills— programming, soft circuits, web development, media production, and more. The program is partially funded by the Gates Foundation as a pilot site for youth-led programs centered on creativity and innovation.
Both The Institute of Play and Quest to Learn are located in New York City, near Chelsea.
As a Short Circuit Mentor, the successful candidate is enthusiastic, committed to working with youth within a design, media, and technology‐led space, open to new ideas, adept at engaging diverse audiences, and able to foster and inspire broad participation.
Specific skills required
• Experience teaching and working with middle school students
• Enthusiasm about technology, design and media platforms, and their integration into the
• Fluent in digital design, media tools and platforms, and willing to learn more as required
• Flexible and able to solve problems creatively and effectively
• Positive attitude with strong collaboration skills
• Team player: responsible, independent and willing to pitch‐in where needed
• Start date: Monday, January 3, 2011
• Part Time: Monday-Friday, 2p-6pm, with an on‐site commitment of 20 hours per week
• Salary: Commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit the following materials:
• Resume and letter of application outlining your qualifications and interest in the position
• Link to your online portfolio or PDF file with relevant work samples
• Names and contact information for 3 references
All materials should be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Applications accepted until Friday, December 10, 2010 or until position is filled