Vision Education & Media (VEM) is a growing company which provides after-school programs to youth in technology and multimedia. Our cutting edge use of technology allows students to build and make things that are personally meaningful to them. Our students make and program robots, design and make video games and claymations along with other project based challenges.
We welcome experienced educators who may not be familiar with the particular technologies we use, provided they are eager to learn and passionate about teaching and love working with children.
We are seeking part-time teachers/mentors available 4-10 hours per week for programs lasting 2-4 months. Our mentors work with youth in grades PK-8 in an after-school program helping students make projects. This is an opportunity to work with kids without what may be the rather rigid academic demands of the school day. Although the projects our students make address many academic content areas, the learning is done in a way that focuses on the passion and interest of our students. Our clubs are fun for our students and we are looking for adults who want the opportunity to teach and mentor children within an afterschool environment.
Our mentors are compensated at competitive rates, and those who demonstrate excellent classroom performance will be considered for additional teaching opportunities within the company.
- Teach weekly 1 to 2-hour classes on fixed days for 2-4 month period
- Utilize Vision Education & Media trainings to master different curriculum technologies
- Independently gain proficiency with curriculum technologies
- Maintain regular communication with Manager
- Complete written reports detailing classroom activity within 24 hours of class
- Supplement basic curriculum with additional activities/project ideas
- BA or BS degree
- Approximately two years teaching experience either in a traditional school environment or within non traditional teaching environments such as coaching or camp counseling
- Proven mastery of classroom management techniques
- Ability to commit to all program dates over a 2-4 month period
- Ability to be on time and prepared for class
- Ability to independently get to and from program locations in and around the five boroughs
- Availability to attend staff trainings and workshops as required
- Proficiency with computers
- Desire to learn new technologies
- Energy and enthusiasm about working with youth
- Experience with educational technology is a plus
This position is part-time. Paid training is provided. Graduate students currently enrolled in an education program are encouraged to apply. Programs are generally two hours long and take place during the afternoon between 2pm-6pm. Qualified candidates should reply by E-mailing their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please indicate availability in cover letter. Vision Education & Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer.