Web Design Internship
Deadline: Rolling application
About the Organization
Access is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. With offices in Brussels, New York, Santiago, Tunis, and Washington, D.C., we combine innovative policy, user engagement, and direct technical support. Access works globally with activists, civil society, and policymakers to build technical capacity and to advocate for open and secure communications for all.
About the Internship
The Web Design Intern will join the Engagement arm and work closely with the Director of Communications, Digital Engagement Manager and lead Visual Designer, who will guide you to conduct multiple human rights campaigns in both digital and physical realms. You will be working to develop innovative, interactive platforms that are dedicated to digital rights advocacy and free, accessible internet. A good portion of your work involves communication with our Tech team.
Your creative and inspiring ideas will be translated into tangible and meaningful communication tools to engage and expand our action-focused global movement of 400,000 users from over 185 countries as we seek to affect change to ensure that real people everywhere have the ability to freely, fully, and safely participate online!
To do this, you’ll learn and do many things, such as:
● Develop and help execute innovative digital strategies
● Collect and analyze cutting-edge tech tools
● Conduct background research and data analysis for website development
● Identify creative and functional means of data visualization
● Develop information architecture for our website and multiple micro-sites
● Creatively support the growth of our online community
● Work closely with our Technology and Policy arms
● Help design and create a really really really funny meme-lol for our meme wall
● Participate in team meetings
Access is looking for someone who not only has a keen interest in design and visual language, but also is enthusiastic for human rights advocacy. This position plays a key role in visual strategy for upcoming projects and campaigns, which requires an intelligent, discerning and insightful mind. The individual is responsible for researching, crafting and assessing content and forms across numerous media, including print, electronic and social. It is crucial for the individual in this position to have a strong willingness to create aesthetically and socially good design.
Some other requirements includes:
● Exceptional proficiency in Adobe CS5 or later – Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Fireworks, etc.
● Outstanding typographic and design skills
● Solid knowledge of data visualization (The ability to interpret information in graphic form)
● Knowledge of basic CSS/JAVA script/Adobe After Effects a plus
● An instagram portfolio that shows good taste and sense of humor!
We’re looking for students or recent graduates in visual communications design or relevant field. The Engagement team are based in Washington DC but we’ve also got a wonderful office in New York City. The intern can work from either amazing office. However, due to our love of the Internet, we’re happy to talk virtually and applicants will be considered from locations worldwide.
● One full academic term (usually 3 to 4 months)
● 16-20 hours per week, more if you like, that’s fine!
● Start ASAP!
● Unpaid position, academic credit available.
To apply, send a copy of your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest and a portfolio for the position, and two references (only one may be academic) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “Design Intern – [Your Name]” as the subject line.
Access is an international NGO based in New York, NY. We are an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status