Location: New York, NY
Department: Technology & User Experience
Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: Experienced
DonorsChoose.org is an online charity that makes it easy for anyone to help students in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America post classroom project requests on our site, and you can give any amount to the project that most inspires you.
Teachers at half of all the public schools in America have created classroom project requests on our site, and 1.3 million “citizen philanthropists” have channeled books, field trips, technology, and other resources to students from low-income communities. In all, we’ve generated $230 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
Fast Company ranked us #9 on its list of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World and made us the first non-profit ever featured on the issue’s cover. GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work.
We’re located in the Garment District of Manhattan.
About the role
We’re looking for a self-directed designer to overhaul the design and user experience of our philanthropic marketplace. You will help our team become more conscious of design, teach us best practices, and challenge us to improve our brand and user experience across all aspects of our organization.
As our Lead Visual & UX Designer, you will:
- Overhaul the DonorsChoose.org brand and then become a caring steward of that brand
- Concept and execute strong digital design for desktop and mobile
- Participate in every aspect of the product development process, from creating wireframes to designing entire interaction flows
- Challenge developers and other teams to solve problems with design and maintain a cohesive and consistent experience
- Excellent communication skills (when articulating your design decisions)
- Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with little supervision
- Fluency with user interface patterns and interaction design, including mobile web and apps
- Love giving and receiving thoughtful feedback, not afraid to change your mind
- Able to work within our established visual system until you make something better
- Sweat the details, but can see the bigger picture
- Enjoy working on both large projects and small design improvements
- Value usability studies and A/B test results to inform design iterations, but know when good taste should prevail
- Advanced capabilities with design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc
- Experience designing for e-commerce or multi-faceted web applications a big plus
- Build what you design a big plus (HTML, CSS, JS)
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary with merit-based bonus potential, comprehensive benefits with employer paid premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, matching 401K, professional development budget, casual workplace and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays.
DonorsChoose.org is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. We enthusiastically encourage diverse applicants to apply for this position.