Design Technology Job Description
Amazon has developed a number of market-leading, innovative and fast-growing
digital and mobile businesses. These include the Amazon Kindle, a revolutionary
reading device and #1 best-selling product across all of Amazon, Amazon MP3,
Amazon Instant Video, IMDb, Amazon Mobile Shop, and Audible. These applications
run on a range of mobile platforms including iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Windows
Mobile and WebOS.
The Digital Product User Experience Design Studio is seeking a highly motivated
Design Technologist, or Creative Technologist. This individual will help create
and define design-focused technology solutions that deliver on Amazon’s Digital
Products vision. They will be part of a small, nimble team focused on user-facing
aspects of consumer electronics products, and will prototype and refine great end-
to-end experiences for Amazon customers. This work is done quickly and without
the aid of specs.
Digital Technologists are part of the entire design process. Input on design concepts
is expected, as well as the ability to improve upon existing concepts. DTs hack their
way around platform limitations, tinker with concepts, and think creatively in code.
This is done quickly, iteratively and collaboratively in a Design Studio environment.
Further, you’ll be asked to help define and build our toolset, both for other DTs and
for the UX group as a whole. DT work is used to demonstrate UX design concepts, to
be a reference for engineering, and sometimes to ship products.
Responsibilities of the role include:
• Create high fidelity prototypes and reference code.
• Demonstrate and test of solutions that take maximum advantage of a platform’s
• Work very quickly with minimal documentation.
• Work with design leadership and key stakeholders to prototype and to define
user concepts for next-generation user experiences.
• Work with visual and interaction designers to ensure compliance with key SDK
and HIG standards on shipping products.
• Develop, implement and evangelize a process for design and engineering to
work closely together on the rapid iteration of design concepts.
• Work closely with Architecture, Engineering and QA to create successful ways of
working between Engineering and Design.
3+ years of software development.
• Strong understanding of Android development practices.
• Proven ability to innovate within and extend current technology through
• Experience with one or more of the following: Python, C#, C++, ActionScript3 or
• The ability to create user experiences and to explore concepts across a variety of
• World-class invention and problem-solving skills.
• Passion for pixel perfect design execution.
• Strong conceptual and problem solving skills.
• Good understanding of interaction design
• Familiarity with the design process.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Obsessive customer focus.
• Unwavering commitment to quality.
• BS in Computer Science or related discipline.
• Highly proficient in Android.
• Experience building data driven prototypes and tools in C#, Java and HTML5/
• Understanding of broadcast/motion design, color theory, typography,
composition and iconography a plus.
• Familiarity with consumer electronics and related technology, such as Arduino
and Raspberry Pi.
• Team member on large scale shipping consumer product.
This position is in Seattle, WA
contact: Luke Stiles <firstname.lastname@example.org>