TITLE: Activity Specialist – STEM/Lego Robotics
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services
LOCATION: Lower East Side, Manhattan –The School for Global Leaders, COMPASS Program
REPORTS TO: COMPASS Program Director
SALARY: $20 -$30 (approx. 10 hrs/ week)
DATES: September 2014 – June 2015 (End of school year)
SCHEDULE: Must be available between 3pm-5pm, Mon- Fri (some Saturdays); Scheduling may vary due to needs of program. Some occasional special events (will require you to work late evenings & attend trips or special events).This position is performance based and it is also contingent on funding availability. Position is also contingent upon student interest and participation in activity.
JOB SUMMARY: As part of our Youth Services Department’s (YSD) vision, all YSD Staff will assist in promoting growth, leadership and positive self-image in all young people during the COMPASS After School Program at The School for Global Leaders. The STEM/Robotics specialist will enrich academic learning, and foster the personal development and leadership skills of middle school age youth. Develop and implement high-quality hands on project based lesson plans aligned to Common Core Standards for science. In addition, instructor will help prepare participants to compete in a Lego Robotics competition in March. In the end, students will be able to gain a deeper understanding and reinforce existing knowledge of science and science/math related career paths. Position is also contingent upon student interest and participation in activity.
- High School Diploma BA/BS required.
- Three (3) or more years’ experience working with youth (volunteer experience is acceptable).
- Three (3) or more years’ experience teaching or mentoring in STEM-related fields.
- Working knowledge of LEGO robotics, problem-solving skills, and computer programming skills.
- Computer science/math/science/engineering background and/or experience with robotics.
- Experience working with youth in urban communities.
- Must have experience working with youth in grades 6-8.
- Ideal candidate is personable, energetic, & enthusiastic.
- Ideal candidate demonstrates expertise in STEM disciplines/and or literacy, comfort and familiarity with project based instruction and general science education of youth.
- Ideal candidate will be familiar with the Lego Mindstorms Programming Interface.
- Candidate must successfully complete the following: NYSDOH Fingerprinting Screening; New
- York State Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; Physical w/ updated TB
- Test ( Fees may apply)
- Valid CPR/AED Pro certification through recognized accrediting body preferred.
- Valid First Aid/RTE certification through recognized accrediting body preferred.
- Candidates must be able to communicate effectively with all students while remaining professional at all times and be able to motivate the students while setting an example in all areas, including responsibility, timeliness, organization, attendance and most importantly, professionalism.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate and implement relevant and age appropriate activities/projects in a group setting that incorporate science, technology, engineering and math
- Responsible for supervising all participants in group
- Responsible for maintaining classroom space and recreational space in an organized and clean fashion
- Partner with local organizations and facilities to maximize resources and build capacity
- Responsible for maintaining daily log of all incidents/ injuries
- Chaperone youth group during trips, special events and other activities
- Communicate with supervisor regarding design and implementation of STEM programs, communicate barriers and brainstorm solutions
- Create and follow through on lesson plans and STEM/ Lego Robotics based curricula
- Prepare participants for Lego competition in March
- Call parents regarding student performance and address parent concerns
- Attend all required department/ agency meetings and/ or trainings
- Other/ special duties as assigned by supervisor and/ or senior staff
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Also provide us with three professional references that we can contact (at least one should be from a former supervisor) with the subject header “COMPASS STEM Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. No phone calls, please.