Strategic Communications Manager
Access (accessnow.org) is a growing organization dedicated to the protection of the open internet by focusing on issues such as access to information, privacy, security, freedom of expression and association, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North America, and Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
Access is increasingly becoming a media operation, with blog posts, press releases, infographics, reports, and other forms of content being released nearly every day. We’re looking for a committed Strategic Communications Manager to usher through and develop all of this multifaceted media, from written content to infographics and social media memes, and to help us use it to engage online communities and advance the fight to defend digital rights worldwide in support of Access’ campaigns and initiatives.
The Strategic Communications Manager will oversee every word and image that goes out the door. S/he will act as internal traffic cop, quality control, and strategic planner and will ultimately be responsible for ensuring high standards for all of our public-facing work.
The position will work closely with all three arms of Access — Advocacy, Policy, and Tech — to edit blog posts, reports, and other written content; develop and manage internal editorial processes; solidify Access’ organizational voice; and develop strategies to identify and engage Access’ many different audiences. In addition, the Strategic Communications Manager must be able to quickly translate policy and technical issues into digestible formats for use in social media, on our blog, or on external platforms. Speed, quality, and dependability will be the hallmarks of this position.
The Strategic Communications Manager will be part of the Advocacy arm at Access and will report to the Advocacy Director. In addition to the work described above, s/he will work closely with the digital engagement team and the Global Advocacy Manager to conceive of and develop new digital campaigns and to manage special projects.
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of eagle-eyed editing skills; experience managing projects and setting priorities for teams; “the ability to digest and analyze complex policy statements and data sets; the ability to write well and quickly for a variety of audiences; and a passion for human rights and the internet.
- Review and edit all media content across our online platforms for external distribution;
- Develop inter- and intra-team processes for managing the flow of content, from development to creation, editorial polish, and promotion;
- Write compelling copy for a broad range of publications including Access’ blog, web properties, press releases, reports, and other materials;
- Develop strategies for presenting the scope of Access’ work, including advocacy campaigns, policy briefs and technical issues, to multiple audiences;
- Work within the Advocacy team to identify opportunities for engaging our global online community;
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience (media production, communication, campaigning, advocacy, public relations, journalism) preferably in the non-profit sector; or substantive experience working in a high-level position for a major digital organizing program;
- Outstanding writing and editorial skills;
- Strong project management skills; experience managing projects and relationships across an organization and with outside vendors;
- A solid understanding of digital trends and communications strategies; the ability to apply these towards complex and concurrent advocacy and policy goals;
- Proven experience developing innovative digital strategies and compelling content using inexpensive tools and approaches;
- Strong understanding of digital production, publication, and organizing tools, including media production software, email lists, CMS & CRM systems, social media, data analytics;
Location: This is a full-time position based in Access’ office in New York.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits.
To Apply: Please send an email to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, current salary, salary expectations
Please remember to reference your email application with the subject line: “Strategic Communications Manager – [Your Name]”