Access (accessnow.org) is a growing organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North America, and Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
Our Tech arm provides technology solutions and real time advice for activists and civil society in circumstances where communications are not open, free, and safe. Through thought leadership, tech development, and partnerships, we aim to bring about positive systemic change to extend the enjoyment of digital rights of users at risk around the world. Our Advocacy team engages the Access membership and broader community to keep abreast of emerging issues, and provide diverse and creative avenues for impactful action — including assisting with supporting, convening and campaigning with other organizations and networks in the space. This includes the maintenance of Access’ main website, in addition to a number of standalone websites that support distinct initiatives and coalitions.
About the Position:
We are looking for a passionate web developer to join our Advocacy team. This position is for someone who is up-to-date with the latest web technologies and platforms, is comfortable setting and meeting tight deadlines, and is conversant with online security standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain current Access websites and web assets.
- Work with the Visual Designer and other members of the Advocacy team to build and deploy standalone websites and other online projects.
- Developing reusable web functionalities and tools for Access web assets.
- Build and deploy desktop and web applications, including their databases, in collaboration with members of Access program staff.
- Deploy applications on remote servers.
- Testing website asset security and fixing vulnerabilities as they are identified.
- Support systems administration of organization including maintenance of certificates and current platform software.
- Database administration as required.
- Monitoring and capacity planning for organization web assets.
- Developing documentation and automated tests for use by Access’ web team.
- Maintaining current knowledge base on emerging technologies.
- Engaging and supporting other members of the Access team as it relates to the development of web properties and the use of Access web assets.
- Proactively communicating and collaborating with Access staff globally.
- Reporting to Advocacy Director on progress and challenges of responsibilities as required.
- Actively pursuing new technologies and thinking creatively about how to adopt, extend and modify them for use in our projects, programs and the larger digital security and digital rights sphere.
- Computer Science degree
- A minimum of two years experience in web development
- Have previously built a web application and/or standalone website of moderate complexity. Drupal, WordPress, or other CMS experience a plus.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Framework : Symfony 1 and 2, Catalyst (MVC).
- Linux operating systems. Apache & HTTPD web servers, Nginx is an advantage.
- MySQL database knowledges, other databases are an advantage.
- Familiarity with GIT, SSH, HTTP/S, SMTP.
Required Personal Qualities:
- Unshakable integrity and personal ethics; dedicated, reliable and trustworthy, with a willingness to provide feedback and ask for assistance in challenging situations.
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines and manage the multiple moving parts of complex projects.
- Energetic and confident.
- Comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with routine activities.
- Must possess strong analytical capabilities, be resourceful and well organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a high stress emergency environment that requires sustained focus; have an appetite for responsibility and perform careful, diligent work.
- Must be able to work unsupervised.
- Keep technical knowledge and skills up to date, and be willing to attend trainings and conferences as required by Access.
Language Skills: Fluency in English essential. Ability to also speak fluently in Arabic, Spanish, or French, preferred.
Location: This role will be based out of our New York (USA) office, however we work globally, and qualified applicants will also be considered from around the world.
To Apply: Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Web Developer– [Your Name]” as the subject line and submit the following, saved as one PDF or .doc document:
Cover letter expressing your interest in the position and why you are the best candidate for it
- 2 references
Deadline: Published May 3rd, applications rolling until filled.